Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Service: Week 9

The problem with Blackpool week is that there is such a build-up to it, such a hype train, that we it arrives it often disappoints. Some of the judges get over excited. Some forget to pack all their paddles. It's total chaos.

Bobby & Dianne kicked things off with their jive. It was actually much tidier than I feared it might be. It was much neater than last week. The routine had lots of energy and there were no errors. It didn't blow me away, but it was very competent. I felt that the additional dancers seemed to make it feel crowded, as if they were too close to Bobby & Dianne. 

Angela & Kai were up next with their American smooth. I can't help thinking that the grueling Strictly schedule is starting to take its toll on Angela. She is looking tired and sometimes confused, and frequently goes wrong. The long competition is tough for the youngest and fittest, and it feels as though Angela reached her peak a few weeks ago. It wasn't a bad performance, but it really felt like the end.

I loved Layton & Nikita's Couples' Choice. It was fresh and fierce and everything you'd expect. They were almost perfectly in sync, and I can't help feeling they are being punished for not being perfect. For any other couple, that would have been a 40 I'm certain. The only thing I am left wondering is what the heck their showdance is going to be. They have used lots of tricks and have done a pole-dancing routine. What else is there to do?

I didn't enjoy Anabel & Johannes' American smooth as much as the judges seemed to. It was nice enough. She has lovely lines and it was very smooth indeed. The footwork was solid. But why did Anabel look so serious? That killed it for me. It would have been so dreamy if she had looked like she was having a nice time. I think she was going for emotion, but it read as intense and serious.

Choreographically, Ellie & Vito's Charleston wasn't my favourite. However, Ellie is just phenomenal. The lifts were heartstopping. Ellie nailed the routine from start to finish, high energy throughout, her facial expressions were great and she gave it bags of performance. I think I just prefer a 1920s style number.

The Argentine tango from Angela & Carlos was the best they have looked in a while. It was strong and intense. The lifts were really nicely executed. I am inclined to agree with Craig about Angela's legs - they didn't look elastic enough. But it was a good number, and it was nice to see Angela doing well again.

If only Nigel hadn't made a couple of tiny errors in that quickstep! What an amazing routine, and the (almost) perfect end to the show. Does he lose focus during the dance, or does he make the same mistakes in rehearsals? He is infuriating. That aside, it was showstopping. The solo sections were spot on. I absolutely loved it. I am shocked that the judges scores were so low. Also, I want to throw a fabulous party where Katya plays piano.

Layton, Angela S and Nigel (despite the errors) were my favourites of the night. Angela R has to be exiting the competition now. She's been in the dance-off twice already, and did nothing to suggest she shouldn't be there again. I have no idea who will also be in the bottom two. For me, it would probably be Bobby, but he didn't do especially badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home