Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, November 06, 2023

Monday Musings: Week 7

So apparently this is actually the halfway point of the competition, and not last week as Shirley kept professing. Not that it really matters...

I thought it was a really strong week for most of the couples, and it's really starting to get tough. The judges are now having to split hairs and encourage the couples to be the best they can possibly be.

Layton & Nikita's jive was fantastic. Their synchronicity was incredible. They were so together as a couple, it was as if they had been dancing together for years. The retraction was lovely on the kicks and the energy was sustained. I didn't really need the fouette turns and the no-hand cartwheel - incredible tricks, but they didn't really fit the jive. Save those tricks for the showdance, so that we have something to be wowed by.

Angela & Kai's waltz was pleasant, but it's hard to make a waltz interesting. Something about Angela's topline is off, perhaps it's her head position, I'm not sure. Sometimes she raises her shoulders just a tiny bit. Her footwork is very good, and of course she is graceful.

It was great to see Nigel & Katya back on form. I loved the story of their tango, it was dramatic and engaging. I totally agree with Craig about how much Nigel was picking up his feet on the backward steps, but I was willing to forgive the technique for the performance. I loved the trustfall. They covered the floor, it had drive. I want to see this Nigel every week.

I wasn't that taken with Angela & Carlos' samba. It was giving me 'mum on a night out' vibes. The skirt shaking looked odd, and her arms were awful. She didn't extend her arms enough at all. It all just looked a bit unfinished and frantic.

I really liked Annabel & Johannes' couples' choice. The lyrical style really suited Annabel and her movement was bigger and more free than we have seen from her so far. She used every part of her long limbs and the movement continued to her fingertips. Perhaps this will be a turning point for Annabel. I want to see her dance like this every week.

I loved the drama of Bobby & Dianne's Argentine tango. The passion and atmosphere was great. Once again, they were a bit foiled by their height difference. The 'A' frame wasn't really there. The gancho section wasn't as exciting as we have seen from other couples in the past. I enjoyed it, although I'm inclined to agree that is looked a little 'placed'.

Ellie & Vito's American smooth was pure Hollywood glamour. As smooth as silk, slick and clean. Is there anything this girl cannot do? I just wish Vito wouldn't choreograph to every accent in the music. He could let some of them go, and the routines would still be as good. Definitely deserving of the 10s.

I liked Adam & Luba's rumba possibly more than the judges did. I liked the chemistry between them, and I thought Adam lead the dance quite well. There was quite a bit of posing, and it did feel a little repetitive in places, but for a fella I think he did really well. He presented Luba well. I think he could have used more hip action, and more figure of eight rotation.

Krishnan & Lauren's couples' choice was my least favourite dance of the night. There was a lot walking and a lot of very uninteresting lifts. Krishnan is capable of so much for, and this was just a bit of a snooze-fest. He's still counting out loud, which really needs to stop now. I love that he is loving it, but I never want to see this routine again.

Ellie and Layton were easily this week's top couples. Angela S, Angela R and Krishnan were the bottom for me, but I love Krishnan and was happy that he wasn't sent home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home