Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, October 14, 2023

Saturday Service: Week 4

Lots of classic dancing this week, certainly in the first half of the programme. And some beautiful, classic costumes too.

I wasn't mad about Vito's choreography this week. His samba for Ellie seemed a little chaotic - there was a lot going on. It all seemed too fast and too packed. Ellie did a decent job with what she was given to do, though. She's still a lovely dancer to watch. There was some nice samba content, just too much other stuff.

I liked Adam & Luba's waltz. It was very classy and simple. OK, so maybe Adam spent a lot of time not moving while Luba danced around him, but it worked. The hold was good, the rise and fall was good, it was a pleasure to watch.

Oh dear. Jody & Jowita's salsa started off with so much promise, but started to flag as the dance went on. The transitions were very clunky, one of the lifts was really awkward. The salsa just wasn't his dance. It's such a shame, because Jody can be so much better.

Amanda continues to be annoyingly good. A very nice foxtrot, lovely frame, nice storytelling with Giovanni.

You've gotta love Krishnan & Lauren. Even when it's not perfect, it's still fabulous. Krishnan had the paso attitude throughout. The only thing that let it down was his shoulders, which seemed to be creeping up mid-dance. It was strong and in control for the most part.

It seems that there was a lot of content in Zara & Graziano's Veinnese waltz designed to prevent them from actually doing any VW steps. I loved the storytelling in the opening. I didn't like the use of smoke which covered her feet. Her left arm looked a bit droopy. There looked to be a little error in what we saw of her fleckerl. It was a nice performance, though.

I liked Annabel & Johannes' jive. It was energetic and punchy. The only thing which let it down was Annabel's heels, which she put down throughout the dance. She should have been up on her toes! I'd like to see a little more performance from Annabel now. She's a competent dancer, but she doesn't draw me in.

Eddie continues to be marvelous out of hold, but a little awkward in hold. Thankfully, the American smooth is out of hold quite a bit. I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong. Maybe it's his topline, maybe he doesn't stride out enough. I love his chemistry with Karen and I love the performance. But now it's time to work on being better dancing together, rather than just next to each other.

Loved Layton & Nikita's cha cha. Layton has found a way to channel his energy into control. The cha cha content was well executed, neat, great footwork and styling. As Shirley pointed out, this dance showcased their teamwork. Fantastic!

Nigel & Katya's salsa was fantastic. Nigel is such a great leader! The whole routine was fire! I loved everything in hold, and the side-by-side section was a lovely accent to the dance. In control, while also being loose and free with it. Great stuff.

It's a shame there was a little stumble out of the fleckerl, because otherwise Angela & Carlos' Viennese waltz was nice. But something about this routine left me cold. It was correct, but I just didn't connect with it.

There was lots to like in Angela & Kai's rumba. Lovely rhythm, clean footwork, and THOSE SPLITS! But it was a little too upright for my taste. I want a little more earthiness in the rumba, I wanted her to be a little more into the floor. And I wanted a little bit of hip on that final pose section. But Angela continues to surprise and delight.

Bobby & Dianne's tango was sharp. It was strong and clean. Maybe it was the music and the storytelling, but it was a bit cold for me. I prefer more passion and fire. But overall it was a very good tango.

The leaderboard was very different this week. Layton was easily the best of the night. I think Jody could be in trouble, and Zara might get a reprieve from the dance-off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home