Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Strictly Lineup: Series 21

It's Strictly season once again. I have to be honest. I have been putting off writing a blog about the 2023 participants since they were announced.

Strictly has worked really hard over the last few years to be inclusive and diverse. Since the beginning it has embraced openly gay dancers and celebrities, people of colour and more recently those with disabilities. We have seen multiple same-sex couples take to the floor, and I really felt that the show was doing good work to move its pearl-clutching, middle-England viewers into the 21st century.

So when the show books some celebrities whose views don't seem to align with these values, it feels like a backward step. I struggle to make peace with people who feel they are the gatekeepers to the identity of others, who feel they can decide whose identity is "legitimate" and whose is not.

I want Strictly to be the glittery, safe space it should be. I hope the voting public get behind those who embody the spirit of Strictly.

So, for what it is worth, here are the 2023 participants.

Anglea Rippon is synonymous with ballroom dancing. She was host of Come Dancing for many years, and even released her own 'how to' DVD, Ballroom Dancing with Angela Rippon, co-demonstrated by Ian Waite. She has danced on TV many times, and is very elegant. At 78, she is the oldest person to perform on Strictly to date, but if she can heep up with the tough training, she will likely do well.


Layton Williams is an actor who is no stranger to dancing. He performed the title role in Everybody's Talking About Jamie in the West end and on UK tours. He's a born performer, and I expect he will be amazing.


Krishnan Guru-Murthy has been a well respected Channel 4 News journalist for most of his career, but for many of us of a certain age, he is the man we watched presenting Newsround when we were children (OK, I do remember John Craven when I was really young, but it was all Krishnan and Juliet Morris when I was really watching). I passed Krishnan on the street last week, but resisted the temptation to shout "G'wan Krish!" at him. Not sure if he'll be able to dance...

Comedian and presenter Eddie Kadi is someone I am not familiar with, so I have no insight into how he might get on on Strictly. I delight in getting to know people over the course of the series and taking them at face value.

I do know and like Angela Scanlon. I have a feeling that she actually hosted a few dates on one of the early Strictly tours, standing in for Kate Thornton, although I'd have to pull out the programme to be sure, as it was dates I didn't go to. I think Angela might be OK on the dancefloor.



The day has finally arrived. We have our first former Love Island participant on Strictly, although in the press release Zoe McDermott has made a BBC Three documentary, which it turns out I did watch but forgot she was the woman behind it. We always assume that younger women will be able to dance, but that's not always the case.


I am not familiar with actor Adam Thomas, having not watched Waterloo Road. He says he is excited to be a part of the show, and has been a fan for years. I do love it when Strictly fans get to participate.



Nikita Kanda hosts the BBC Asian Network Breakfast Show, and is another participant I am unfamilair with. I'm sure I am not alone in hoping she gets paired with Nikita Kuzmin just for the LOLs.

I don't watch Coronation Street, so Ellie Leach is conscripted to the unfamilar pile too. Ellie is the youngest of the women this year.





Paralympic cyclist Jody Cundy joins a long list of gold medalists to join Strictly. Team GB sportspeople have generally done pretty well on the show, and the cycling team have to be among the most disciplined. I have no idea if he will be able to dance, but I am confident he will be able to give it everything.


I don't watch EastEnders, so I am sorry to admit that I am more familiar with Bobby Brazier's famous parents than I am with him. At 20, Bobby is this year's youngest participant. Bobby has been a model as well as an actor. Modelling might not translate to dancing, but I'd expect that he would be able to follow instructions about body position.


I remember Nigel Harman being in EastEnders, so it must have been a long time ago. I haven't watched it in at least 15 years. I also remember him being in the West End, as I saw him in I Can't Sing, a musical loosely based on The X Factor. Anyone who has been in a musical must be able to dance a bit, surely...

Les Dennis must be on the cusp of national treasure status. While he is best known as a comic actor, he has also been in musicals and should be a bit good. 



I know Annabel Croft from her time on Treasure Hunt. Maybe she'll be better than Anneka Rice. If not, she can go back to her pint with Farage and not getting the vaccine.


When I saw Amanda Abingdon's picture, I thought I knew who she was, but it turned it I was muddling her with her doppleganger Katherine Parkinson. Frankly, I wish they had booked Katherine. Amanda hasn't been in anything I have watched. She's described as an actor (well, probably an actress because gender is very important), but I'll decide if she is a legitimate actor.

So there you have it. I've finally written something. See you next month when it all kicks off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home