Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Sunday Service: Week 8

Is it almost Blackpool?

Lauren very much did all of the work in the samba with Krishnan. There was a lot of walking, without a lot of hip action. The samba rolls were OK, but the rest was a bit lacking. He looked a bit unsure of what was coming next. However, there is still something so darn watchable about Krishnan that I didn't hate it.

Bobby & Dianne's American smooth felt more like a Couples' Choice, as it was quote lyrical and seemed to have lots of little lifts. I didn't dislike it, but the most exciting bit was when Dianne unexpectedly pegged it towards the stairs. Bobby is a competent dancer, but I'm just not excited to see him anymore.

I'm starting to feel as though Angela has gone as far as she can in the competition. Her posture in the paso wasn't quite right. Her walking steps had a kind of 'shudder' to them, in a kind of cockney way. She seemed to be hanging on to Kai for grim death. And she seemed to be mainifesing her power in her jawline, which was quite unattractive. Her timing, however, is very good. She is a competent dancer, absolutely, but I'm not sure she has anything else to give outside of the ballroom classics.

I really enjoyed Nigel & Katya's Couples' Choice. It was so sweet and romantic. They danced it so well, and I loved the storytelling. I loved the way Nigel looked at Katya throughout with a fondness. He looked happy and she looked beautiful. It was a delight. He still hasn't hit the heights of those early weeks, but this is the Nigel we've been waiting to see again.

Ellie & Vito's rumba was stunning. I loved how she was alone on the floor at the beginning in the spotlight. The routine had light and shade, fast and slow moments. It was a routine I could have imagined Ola Jordan performing. Her lines are stunning, and she finishes all her moves beautifully.

I didn't see what the judges saw in Annabel & Johannes' samba. It was a little more Sophie than Shakira for me. Annabel is a little too straight and upright. There was also a little error towards then end. It wasn't a bad performance at all, but there are better couples left around her.

I thought Angela & Carlos' waltz was about the best she has done in weeks. It was elegant and pretty to watch. It had more breath than she has ever demonstrated before. Her footwork was much better and she looked relaxed. It bothered me that she didn't turn her head the to right when she came out of the standing spin, and if you're going to do an attitude leg line, you really need to have your knee higher than your toe. But a definite improvement for Angela.

The intensity and intent in Layton & Nikita's Argentine tango was stunning. Absolutely amazing. As Shirley said, it was pure art.

Layton, Ellie and Nigel were my top three last night. My bottom two would be Krishnan and Angela R. I would quite like to see Krishnan in Blackpool, but I am not sure I'd want him to be there at the expense of anyone else left. There are a couple of others that I don't have strong feelings about, so wouldn't be sad to see them leave, but at the same time I think everyone else left has more to offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home