Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Sunday Service: Week 6

I know Halloween Week on Strictly is a Marmite event, but I love it. I like the crazy costumes and make-up. It's lots of fun.

As Shirley reminded us more than once, we are halfway through the competition. And it seems lots of our couples are starting to plateau. The are all pretty good, but the steady improvement seems to have tailed off for most of them.

I really liked Angela & Carlos' Black Swan-inspired paso. I liked the inclusion of balletic elements, and I thought the drama was wonderful. It could have had more expansion, which was there on the swan sections, but lacking elsewhere. There was a small error in the middle as well. A very creative routine, and a great start to the show.

Adam & Luba's American smooth was very cute. the choreography was simple, which meant he was able to execute it very well. The lifts weren't too challenging, which again meant it looked clean. The short section danced out of hold toward the end was a bit wobbly, but otherwise it was a good job.

Zara & Graziano's Charleson lacked finesse. She hasn't learned to move like a dancer. She's doing all of the moves, but everything is just steps with no finish or transition. She occasionally goes out of time as well.

Layton & Nikita's tango was full of drama and passion. It was brave to switch hold, and for me it didn't work. Layton did not look as polished in the leader role. I'm inclined to agree with Shirley that his quality could be better. He has acting, performance and dancing in spades, but he needs to work on the ballroom and technique.

I liked Bobby & Dianne's cha cha. It was fun and cheeky. I loved the drag across the floor with Dianne spinning. He definitely needs to control his arms. His limbs are so long, and they can look gangly because he doesn't control them. If he tidies up him arms, he could be even better.

Krishnan & Lauren's Viennese waltz was only OK for me. His topline is very bothersome. It's a little small, and he has a tendency to lean forward. The flerkerl went very awry. This was far from his best performance, but his characterisation was good.

Angela & Kai's Charleston was hilarious, mostly because of Kai camping it up! I really enjoyed the choreography, and, barring a little error in the middle, Angela executed it well. I still wish she would point her toes in the lifts. Those upturned toes are really ugly. But she continues to amaze us.

Johannes' decision to keep Annabel in hold for the entire tango was a smart move. It meant he was in control of the routine from start to finish, and it made Annabel look fantastic. It could have had more intensity, though. I didn't buy the character. Brilliant choreography - more routines like this from our pros, please.

It a shame there were a couple of errors in Nigel & Katya's cha cha, because it was great otherwise. I loved the choreography, with all the zombie elements. Nigel is a fantastic leader, and his timing is excellent. If he's in the final, I'd like to see him do that again and nail it.

Ellie reminds we a bit of Jill Halfpenny. She's great in everything she does, and nothing ever looks difficult. I never feel anxious when she comes onto the dancefloor, because I know everything is going to be under control. Ellie & Vito's salsa was fun, complicated and competent. She's yet to have a bad week, and she is absolutely a contender for the final for me.

Ellie was unquestionably the best of the night. I pretty much agreed with the bottom two on the leaderboard this week - Zara and Krishnan. But Krishnan is so well liked, there is a possibility that Annabel might find herself in the dance-off. No matter what, it definitely feels like Zara's time has to be up now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home