Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, October 14, 2024

Monday Musings: Week 4

I watched the show on Saturday night, but just didn't have the time to write down my thoughts before the results. I'm not 100% sure I was watching the same show as the judges, though. They seemed to be piling on hyperbole and overmarking all over the shop.

Shayne & Nancy's cha cha just didn't pop for me. It lacked flow and never really got going. I blame the bowling theme for that. Perhaps Shayne was concentrating too hard. It just didn't look relaxed, and his arms looked shortened. He's competent, but just not reaching his potential yet.

Sarah & Vito's foxtrot didn't really get going for me either. It felt a bit 'small'. Sarah is a lovely dancer, and as Shirley noted, her spotting is impeccable. But this dance just didn't sing in the way other dances have done for her. I don't know why they changed hold for a few counts - it jarred with the feel of the piece for me.

I enjoyed Nick & Luba's Charleston. It was sweet. And given his injury he did really well. He's quite light on his feet for a big fella. I thought the routine was joyful.

I think Jamie played the part of a wide-boy holiday rep really well. The salsa was pretty solid, and it's clear that Michelle really trusts him as a partner. His partnering skills are really strong. What I'd like to see next is for him to develop his performance so that he is dancing for all of us instead of just being focused on being a great partner. Definitely his best week so far.

I thought Wynne & Katya's tango was overmarked. I know the tango is supposed to to staccato, but it was a bit jerky and lacked drive and flow for me. His left arm was a bit far forward for my liking, the frame didn't look quite right. The storytelling was there, though. He took on the character.

Definitely not a good week for Punam & Gorka. Punam's jive was so flat-footed it made for an ugly presentation. There were a couple of very obvious errors. She also needs to learn how to stand when Gorka is moving and she isn't so she looked posed and not just waiting for the next step, or the bus.

Paul showed improvement this week. The quickstep actually felt like a competent dance. It's a shame you could drive a bus between Paul and Karen for most of the dance. But his hold and his timing were a bit better. He's certainly not amazing, but his is improving.

JB & Amy's rumba was fine. It was correct, there were plenty of recognisable figures. But I didn't feel any emotion, either romantic or raunchy. As Motsi commented, it was very technical and well danced. But just not very interesting.

I enjoyed Chris & Dianne's salsa. He partnered her really well, and it's clear that they trust each other. His timing is excellent. His feet were a bit 'picked up', he could have been a little more into the floor. He bobs up and down a bit. A little finessing would make it even better.

Montell & Johannes' Viennese waltz was nice. Danced well, great timing, nice line. Just not exciting and I'm not sure why. Maybe a bland song, I don't know.

Sam's samba was a bit awkward, sadly. She gave it absolutely everything, but she's just not a natural dancer so it ended up reading as a bit naff. I'm glad she and Nikita enjoyed dancing it, and I respect her efforts.

Pete also showed improvement this week. There was a little moment when he went out of sync with Jowita so they were bobbing up and down at opposite times, but overall it was an improvement, and I enjoyed watching their quickstep.

Is there anything Tasha can't do? I wasn't sure about a festival-themed Charleston, but it worked. She's such a neat dancer, she gives it everything without it being wild. She's completely unstoppable. The lifts were great. She and Aljaž could be the perfect partnership.

Punam and Sam were the bottom two for me this week, followed closely by Paul. I was sorry to see Nick depart, and I don't feel we really got to see everything that he might be able to do, although it was right that the judges saved Shayne. He didn't really deserve to be in the bottom. I'd love to see Nick come back for a Christmas special some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home