Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, October 07, 2024

Monday Musings: Week 3

Here are my belated thoughts on Saturday night's Movie Week special...

Montell & Johannes started the night with a tango. I love One Night Only, but the arrangement by the band was fairly standard, and therefore it didn't lend itself to tango. The whole thing lacked drama for me. Montell is a very competent dancer, but this routine lacked light and shade for me. None of this is her fault, of course. It's just annoying when the songs aren't appropriate to the dance.

Toyah & Neil's samba was definitely more theme week than technical samba. There were some nice samba rolls and promenade runs, and Toyah absolutely brought the characterisation, but it didn't really work as a samba. I'd love to see Toyah play some sort of witch in a panto after that, but this was not a routine which was going to save her from the bottom of the leaderboard.

Chris & Dianne's jive was a masterclass in theming. There were nods to Wayne's World, but there was still plenty of jive content to make the dance recognisable. Lovely toe-heel swivels, nice picked-up knees. I loved it. I'm just concerned that this could lead to lots of dodgy fan fiction based on Wayne and Garth dancing a jive together...

More early-series rumba action, this time from Tasha & Aljaž. I fear that Tasha is peaking too early, and people are going to tire of her. This was another brilliant performance. with lots of clean figures. There is little to dislike (other than Aljaž's dodgy Ken wig). She really understands how to move her body and the shapes she can make.

The musical arrangement did more cha cha in this routine than Paul did. His timing is not good at all. Aside from a few New Yorkers and walks, there wasn't much content. Karen is giving it everything, but she is back-leading the whole thing. Let it be over soon.

Sarah & Vito's Viennese waltz was as magical as the boy the music inspired. Sarah is such a beautifully neat dancer, it is wonderful to watch. Perhaps the dance could have been flatter, and Anton had a point about her head placement, but otherwise it was glorious. Putting Vito in an academic gown was a stroke of genius, as it gave the dance even more movement.

Pete (or George) is improving, although his samba with Jowita was a little odd. His timing was out in places, but I am enjoying his growing confidence. His hip action wasn't quite there - he had a good forward and backward thrust, but lacked the figure of eight motion needed to make the samba more fluid.

JB & Amy's American smooth was sweet and bright, as you'd expect for a routine to Pure Imagination. There is some finessing that would make things even better, and I feel that if this was coming a few weeks later it would have been even better. He could do with a little more drive. To do American smooth before foxtrot is a bit difficult for the celebrities, though. I really wish they could do more ballroom first.

For me, Sam's paso lacked sharpness and appel. They used to spend so much time on the show talking about the staccato nature of paso, and the importance of appel. That was totally lacking for me here. It was all a bit one-note. Sam's timing is still a little off in places. She and Nikita are working hard, but she has a way to go still.

Shayne & Nancy spent so much time out of hold that I had to check if they were doing a Viennese waltz or an American smooth. I picked up on the same thing about Shayne's left arm as Anton (you'll have to take my word for it, but I have a witness!) - he needs to expand his frame to make the whole thing 'bigger'. He's a competent dancer otherwise.

Wynne has very good timing, there is no doubt about that, but this cha cha was a bit 'dad dancer' for my taste. The lack of finesse was fine for a theme week, but it didn't work for me otherwise. I really want to see him and Katya do a straight Latin routine and see how he fares, as he's been hiding behind characters so far.

Punam & Gorka's routine is what Couple's Choice should be. It was refreshing to have a Bollywood routine, which meant something to Punam, rather than just another hip-hop or balletic waft which could be danced by anyone. As ever, it is impossible to judge a CC against any other dance. I can't help thinking this would have been better saved for a week with backing dancers, as it would have been even better with more colour and more movement. But well done to the show for putting this in prime time.

I liked Jamie & Michelle's quickstep. It was bright and they covered the floor well. There was lots of content and most of the routine was in hold without too much faff. I feel like Jamie just hasn't quite popped yet. He's so close to wowing us, and I can't wait to see it when he does.

There is no question that Toyah and Paul were the bottom two. Personally, I would have sent Paul home. I felt that Toyah's timing was a little better, and her characterisation and storytelling was better than Paul's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home