Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Couples

Ahead of tonight's first show, I thought I would take a look at the pairings and first impressions.

Robert & Dianne - This works for me. I think they will have lots of fun together. They've already started posting lots of comedy clips on social media. However, I think Robert might be one of the celebrities who struggles a bit with the dancing unless he plays it for laughs. I'd love to see him play it straight, at least for some of the dances, but I suspect he might find it difficult.

Katie & Gorka - Gorka has definitely been rewarded for last year's sacrifices by being partnered with Katie who lives in the north. He won't have to spend too much time away from his family. This is Gorka's third soap actor in five series, having previously partnered Tameka and Maisie. I think they'll be a decent match.

Rhys & Nancy - This pair seem to have bags of energy. Rhys also looks like he could be quite the mover. Nancy's participation with a celebrity has been long-awaited, and I am looking forward to really getting to know her. I think this pair will be in for the long-haul.

Sara & Aljaž - This pairing feels about right. Aljaž has had quite a diverse range of partners over the years, with a real mix of abilities, but he has always brought something out of them. Sara is one of this year's taller celebrities, so perhaps that was how they were paired.

Dan & Nadia - It feels that this partnership was inevitable because Dan is so tall. It is rare to see Nadia having to look up so much, but he towers over her. Nadia is always going to get the 'long limbed' pros, which can be quite a challenge if they cannot control their bodies. I think Dan will do alright because he is such a well-known face on TV, but dancing might not be his strong suit.

Rose & Giovanni - This didn't feel like a surprise pairing at all, because for so many years Giovanni has signed his "Thank you"s during the results show. I wonder if that was the reason they were paired. Like Aljaž, Giovanni is really good at changing his style to suit it partner, ranging from the fiery taskmaster that paired Michelle to his softer approach with Ranvir. I fell in love with Rose during her reveal, and I can't wait to see how she gets on. I think they will go far.

Adam & Katya - Think of the lifts we are going to get from this pair! Adam has ridiculous upper body strength, and Katya is so creative and fearless, I cannot wait to see what they come up with. Adam is no stranger to training, so he's going to be driven, too.

AJ & Kai - It's always difficult to assess celebrities with brand new pros. It's also challenging to build rapport with the audience, as the pro doesn't come with their own fans and following. AJ definitely seems the type to throw herself into anything with a heap of good humour, so I think she'll win people over.

Greg & Karen - Karen never seems to be given a 'ringer', but she somehow manages to do well with whomever she is partnered with. She's reached the final twice with unlikely partners Jamie Laing and Mark Wright. Greg is probably the weakest of the group this year, but he seems very charming, so perhaps that will help him stay a bit longer.

Judi & Graziano - This paring feels like one of the most unlikely. I wasn't a fan of Graziano's choreography when he was partnered with Vick, but I've really warmed to him over the last couple of years, and I am happy to see him with a partner again. I just hope that Graziano 'gets' Judi and her fast-talking, east London humour. I hope she doesn't play it for laughs too much.

John & Johannes - I was convinced that John would be partnered with Graziano. I thought the producers might shy away from any possibility of romance headlines by partnering John with a heterosexual partner. Putting John with Johannes is a bold statement, and I am glad to see it. They look great together, and John looks like he can move a bit, so I think they could go very far.

Nina & Neil - I'm happy to see Neil back with a partner. Nina is the oldest of the female celebrities, but is far from the sort of old duffer we'd usually see Anton with. I think they will have a good time together. I think Nina will try hard, but I don't see her progressing beyond mid-series.

Tom & Amy - A very wholesome match for Amy once again. Tom is a Sylvia Young kid, so will likely have had some dance training at school. Comparisons with bandmate and former champion Harry Judd are inevitable, but Tom comes across as much more outgoing than Harry, and Amy is probably more well-liked as a pro than Aliona, so on paper this could be a successful pairing.

Tilly & Nikita - A little known celebrity and a brand new pro means this is going to be a tough series for this pair, and they are going to have to prove themselves quickly. Tilly likes to post dance TikToks, but that's a far cry from partner dancing. I don't see this pair getting that far.

Ugo & Oti - I like this paring. Somehow Oti manages to make magic with ringers and unlikely celebrities alike. This is Oti's seventh series, and her fourth sportsman, so she knows how to get the best from those in this field. And Ugo definitely seems up for the challenge. I think the fact that Ugo has just joined the AQoS panel will boost his profile among those who hadn't already heard of him.

A few thoughts after looking at the group dance. Tilly looked tentative. Robert will need to control those facial expressions. Greg is probably the weakest of the group and will need to work really hard to go far. Everyone else looked pretty solid. It was probably one of the most coherent opening group numbers we have seen. I think this is going to be a really competitive series.


Let's get this series started!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home