Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sunday Service: Week 1

It's Strictly 2018, people! I'm so excited that Strictly is back for another year. And I'm excited that you have swung by to have a read of my blog!

I loved the opening pro number to Your Song. I can't imagine what time in the morning they had to get up to film it in such peace. I couldn't help thinking the ladies must have been freezing in those dresses, especially with the fountains going around them. But it looked beautiful.

On to the first couple, Danny & Amy. A foxtrot is a very difficult dance for Week 1. Or it would have been if it didn't look like an American smooth! Way too long to get into hold. However, Danny looked slick and confident. His footwork looked a bit dodgy, not enough heel leads, although it was difficult to see under Amy's dress. Darn camera angles. All of that said, I really enjoyed Danny's performance. It was classy and he performed well.

Kate & Aljaž did a reasonable job with their cha cha. Kate had the attitude, but she must straighten her legs. She's got very long pins, so bent legs do not look good. The performance was there, but it was all a bit heavy. I can see her potential, I hope it's realised a bit more next week.

What an amazing waltz from Lauren & AJ! Beautiful top line, beautiful underarm turns, beautiful footwork. Lauren look relaxed. Such brilliant choreography from AJ. I loved it. I always get nervous when couples dance to Kissing You, because it's such a beautiful song, but Lauren & AJ were up to the challenge. Undermarked in my opinion.

Shaunn & Katya were a pleasant surprise. Their tango was strong and pretty slick. Seann surprised me. It was a tad aggressive in places, but his timing was better than I anticipated. A solid start here.

I'm afraid I didn't like Vick & Graziano's jive. The routine wasn't very enjoyable. I didn't like the choreography. There wasn't enough jive content. Vick was out of time at one point. Her limbs were a little uncontrolled and she didn't elevate the springing steps enough. A combination of poor routine, and uncontrolled performance. But I think Vick has potential. I want to see more.

I don't blame Anton for wanting to set the samba over and done with early doors. I enjoyed the band and the props more than Susannah & Anton's performance. Susannah did not seem to know what was coming next and was relying on Anton to push her around the floor. If I never see that routine again, I think I'll be OK.

Charles was one I was looking forward to seeing the the opening show. He didn't disappoint. He looked in control, and was even leading Karen in places. I wasn't too keen on the routine, but Charles performed it well. Great timing.

I don't begrudge any celebrity a bit of dance training in their past, but when their job was to be part of a dance troupe (not a girl band as they try and make out), you can't help thinking the others don't stand a chance. Ashley & Pasha's Viennese waltz looked almost professional. There was very little wrong with the routine. Maybe her legs could have been straighter in places. Maybe her frame could have been a little more pulled up. The trouble they will have is getting better. They don't have much further to go.

Ranj & Janette's cha cha was fun. Ranj looked like he was having a ball on the floor. It looked a bit awkward in places, and was bordering on camp. He has great timing, and the footwork was OK. He just needs to control his body a bit better.

Katie looked so nervous. The opening was romantic, and see looked like she had a connection with Gorka. But once the routine started, she looked like a deer in the headlights. Bruno is right, she needs to feel it rather than think it. She has potential. Maybe a crazy latin number will be her thing.

Can we take a moment to talk about Graeme's hips? Very surprising hip action. It was a great routine, good timing. A little awkward looking in places. I think he and Oti are going to work well together. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

In hold, Stacey & Kevin were marvelous. They were clean and poised. I didn't really like any of the parts out of hold. Stacey looked gangly and uncontrolled when on her own. She needs to keep her legs together, toes pointed and arms controlled. It was fun to watch, and I look forward to seeing her progression.

A solid start from Lee & Nadiya. Lee was a little pigeon toed. The little slip definitely threw him, and he raced the music on the part after. There was a lot of content to the routine. It was technically shaky, but I think it was solid start and I think Lee will get better.

A great start from Joe & Dianne. The jive had lots of energy and control. Joe kept up with Dianne perfectly. I wasn't too keen on the robot armography on the stage, but that's not anything to do with Joe. A nice suprise.

Faye's enthusiasm could light up a room. He beaming smile was a delight. Her cha cha with Giovanni was a great end to the show. Faye certainly knows how to sell it. I can't help thinking that ballroom will be Faye's strength. There wasn't anything really wrong with her cha cha, and maybe it'll improve with practice. Latin action is difficult to get.

My favourites of the night were Lauren & AJ, followed by Joe & Dianne. Weakest were definitely Susannah & Anton, and I don't think they'll be long for the competition.

Until next week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home