Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, January 08, 2011

January Service: Christmas Special

OK, I know it was about 100 years ago now, but I think it's high time for me to write a blog about the 2010 Strictly Christmas special.

I really liked the fact that we had five new celebrities. I think it made things more interesting, as we didn't know what to expect.

I think it was obvious that John & Kristina were going to do well. I know everyone says that ballroom and latin is very different from other dancing, but the ability to learn choreography naturally gives you an advantage. There was no doubt that John was going to take to the quickstep like a duck to water. I loved everything about John & Kritsina's routine. It was nippy, bright and light, but then you wouldn't expect anything less from the Barrowman. It was lovely for Kristina to have a partner that had some decent ability.

Ronni looked so pretty in her dress, but that sadly is where the magic ended. Ronni was wobbly and tentative. Her turns were cringy to watch. However, in Anton's hold she looked elegant, and perhaps a little more relaxed. She had a bash at a fleckerl which was more than some couples do in the Viennese waltz. She was a much better dancer than Ann, which was good. Perhaps with a little more training, she could be a fair dancer.

I think I watched a different show than the judges, because I didn't see what they saw in Vince & Erin. Vince did a good job, but I don't think it was quite as good as the judges made out. Vince was leading with his left arm too much. That said, it was a very sweet routine. Erin, as always, pitched the routine perfectly to the ability of her partner. It was nice to see Vince fulfil a dream of several years.

I had high hopes for Fern & Matt. As I have said billions of times before, I loved Fern on Let's Dance For Comic Relief and I thought she was going to be brilliant. Maybe it was just that the jive was a bad choice, but I was disappointed. The awful flexed foot on her round kick at the beginning was a warning sign... It was a bit heavy throughout, and didn't have the wow factor I wanted it to have. It was a real shame. But Fern looked hot, hot, hot in that dress. Now, can someone explain why after all these years we are now calling Matthew 'Matt'?

I thought June & Vincent's tango was very cute, if perhaps lacking in content a little. It did use June's acing skills, with a very nice story. Bits of it did resemble the kind of tango people do when they have no idea how a tango actually goes, while humming Hernando's Hideaway. But as Alesha said, June is a true legend, and was great to watch.

There was absolutely no doubt that John & Kristina should win. They were streets ahead of everyone else. I think it is a good thing that he can't do a whole series, because he has so much experience it just wouldn't be fair on everyone else. I have to say that I did love having new celebs, and I loved the group numbers. A brilliant Christmas Special.

Here are the videos...

John & Kristina



Ronni & Anton



Vince & Erin



Fern & Matt



June & Vincent

1 Comments:

  • At 2:48 pm, Anonymous Anna said…

    Spot on!
    And yes, why ARE we calling Matthew, 'Matt' all of a sudden?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home