Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Sunday Service: Week 12

Quarter finals day, already? Time flies when you're having fun!

I loved Ali & Brian's tango. I thought it had great drive. It was very clean. And for Ali, it did have attack. However, I would have loved it even more with different music. It didn't punctuate the dance in the right way for me. Choreographically, it was very good. Brian did a great job.

Their samba had good hip action, especially on voltres. I thought it was a lovely routine. Again, I wasn't that fussed with the song choice, but it totally suited Ali. Brian totally played to Ali's strengths by going for something with more control and less abandon. It was a gorgeous performance, and Ali looked stunning in her costume.

I had to agree with the judges' comments about Laila & Anton's American smooth. It was clumsy in places. Alesha summed it up with the word 'unsteady'. It lacked the sparkle that the American smooth should have.

Laila & Anton's salsa was a total car crash. They make a mockery of the competition. It was completely embarrassing. She never regained control. Everyone makes mistakes. Even our beloved pros slip up from time to time. But you have to pick it up again, and not let it rattle you. Laila totally forgot what she was doing, and it threw the whole thing. The judges should be embarrassed that they saved her over Ricky Groves.

After two weeks of Viennese waltz, Chris was all over the waltz. I especially loved the open. Chris has good musicality, especially in ballroom. It was very clean. But I'm with Craig. I want him to smile, not stick his chin out like Brucie. It would be the cherry on the cake if he could smile. That is not the face of romance.

Chris' personality totally carries him through the latin, and it did so again in the samba. Admittedly, his timing was a little out in places. But Chris really sells it. He could sell ice to the Eskimos. I have to agree with the judges' comments about lack of content. But Ola always plays safe, rather than risk exposing any flaws that might exist. She did the same with Kenny and Andrew.

I only started to really enjoy Ricky & Natalie's foxtrot about halfway through. I'm not sure why. I just preferred the second half of the routine. Yes, Ricky does have pigeon toes, and his knees were a little to flexed, but the routine had great sway, which was accented by Natalie's beautiful dress. It was good to see Ricky return to his usual form after a bad week last week.

Their cha cha had great rhythm. Ricky is a great partner, who actually presents Natalie really well in the way a pro would, something Chris doesn't do. It was clear that Ricky & Natalie worked hard this week, and it paid off.

Thank goodness Laila & Anton were in the dance-off. It really didn't matter who was there with them. Although there is no denying which couples the public are behind. Laila did perform better in the dance-off, but time was up for her. Actually, time was up for her weeks ago, but the public seemed to fall for Anton's begging. But Laila did not deserve to be there any more, and I'm glad the public saw that.

It looks like we're going to get an Ali and Chris final (as long as the public keep Chris out of the dance-off). And that wouldn't be so bad. Both seem to have lots of support. I can't wait to see what Chris & Ola do with the Argentine tango! And how brilliant was Vincent & Flavia's Argentine tango? I'll miss them on this year's winter tour.

Finally, a word on Darcey Bussell. I really enjoyed hearing what she had to say. She seemed to come from a similar standpoint to Craig. And I find myself agreeing with him more than anyone else. I thought she gave constructive criticism. And having 5 judges means Len never has the deciding vote in the dance-off. Incidentally, Bruce never asked Bruno and Len if they would have agreed with the others. I wonder what they would have said...

Here are the videos.

Ali & Brian - tango



Ali & Brian - samba



Laila & Anton - American smooth



Laila & Anton - salsa



Chris & Ola - waltz



Chris & Ola - samba



Ricky & Natalie - foxtrot



Ricky & Natalie - cha cha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home