Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, October 24, 2021

Sunday Service: Week 5

What a show! So many couples put in their best performances of the series. And so much talk of technique in the VTs. Be still my beating dancer heart!

Dan & Nadiya’s Viennese waltz was very romantic. There were a few things he could have done better, of course. Some of the steps could be longer and have more drive. His fleckerl looked a little bit ‘jumpy’. That aside, it was a lovely routine and Dan really presented Nadiya well. I think it could be Dan’s best dance so far.

Bless Adam. It was clear that he had worked really hard on the samba. Katya’s routine was pleasant, and I actually enjoyed how seriously Adam had taken it. His lock steps were decent, he looked better in hold than out. It wasn’t a bad effort for a really difficult dance. And I don’t think it’s the first time Adam’s taken a jacket off like that…

Sara & Aljaž’s rumba was fine, but a little dull. Like Adam, it was clear that Sara had worked hard all week, but it fell a bit flat for me. It lacked a bit of finesse and performance. It was all a bit nice. I’m not sure if her timing was all there, it seemed as though Aljaž was doing all the work to keep the timing.

Tom & Amy’s salsa was probably the best routine he’s done so far. Great choreography, decent lifts, lots of rhythm. I’ve found him a bit uninteresting so far, but this dance made me sit up and take notice of him. He seems pretty popular and now I am starting to see what other people like about him.

I really enjoyed Tilly & Nikita’s foxtrot. It was elegant and sweet. Her technique was the best I’ve seen from her. She released her heels on the backward steps, her heel turn was lovely. Another personal best this week.

AJ & Kai gave us everything we want to see in the Argentine tango. It was intense and passionate. I loved all of the leg work and the lifts. It was intimate and powerful. The only thing she could improve is the extension of her feet on some of the kicks, she really needs to point her feet. This pair is so watchable. I just love them together.

Ugo & Oti’s rumba was really good, especially considering Ugo’s injury. I thought Ugo partnered Oti really well, he presented her and allowed her to shine. I think the judges were actually a bit harsh on them, they were really easy on the eye.

We got a brilliant Charleston from John & Johannes. It was so synchronised. Their side-by-side dancing is always spot on, but this week they added some fun lifts too. Everything was clean and precise. Is there anything this pair can’t do?

It was wonderful to see Rose doing something so intense. She proved with her Viennese waltz that she can give us so many emotions. Giovanni’s choreography was brilliant, the timing was great as always, it was such a joy to watch.

Rhys & Nancy
are so dynamic out of hold. I loved all of the side-by-side sections in their American smooth. In hold, it all falls a bit flat and I lose interest. He’s still a bit pigeon-toed as well. I really wanted to love their routine, but it just didn’t hit the mark for me.

It was a week of personal bests. So many couples put in their best performances of the series for far. Tom, Tilly, John, Rose and AJ were all outstanding. Sara, Adam and Ugo could all be in trouble. It really is so close this series. And the leaderboard just keeps flipping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home