Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Saturday Service: Week 4

Another day out tomorrow, so another early reaction.

I am sorry to see Robert withdraw from the competition. I was looking forward to seeing how he would progress, but his health absolutely comes first.

I hope Ugo is able to come back next week. He's probably on the sofa still in his Moana wig.

Rose & Giovanni’s cha cha was sweet. Rose had a good leg and hip action. There was a little error just before the New Yorkers, but otherwise it was good. She is always a joy to watch. I also loved that she is now not counting out loud so much. She’s got the confidence to count in her head and it made the whole atheistic even better. And we need to take a moment just to reflect on Giovanni’s velvet ‘leather’ jacket and Rose’s tasselled strides.

Choreographically, I really enjoyed Tom & Amy’s foxtrot. It was charming and Hollywood. There were a couple of things that made it look a bit odd. Tom is very pigeon-toed, and his left arm was too far forward at times which made his top line odd. It made him lean over Amy at times. His timing is perfect, though. He has a way to go, but he shows potential.

Tilly & Nikita’s paso was very hit and miss for me. Some of Tilly’s lines were gorgeous, but some of her travelling steps were a bit stompy. She also needs to make sure she keeps her chin up, her head was tilted down too much of the time.

Greg & Karen. Oh dear. The most dad dancing we’ve seen in a while. It was just too serious to be a comedy samba, but not good enough. Just cringy. I didn’t like it. Greg is a nice guy, but I think he’s hit the ceiling.

I didn’t really get the beginning of John & Johannes’ American smooth, but once they both got up and dancing, it was really good. Everything they do looks effortless. The lift was very nice. I think that the hold could have been tighter, though. Maybe it was just a little too much time out of hold.

Rhys & Nancy’s salsa was a bit nuts, much like them. It could have done with more partnering, and less time out of hold. It was fine, but I didn’t love it. Maybe it was the music. I don’t know. I’d like to see Rhys take it down a level some time. I did enjoy the popcorn pyro at the end, though.

Poor music choice for Sara & Aljaž’s tango, too Argentine to make it work for me. Sara’s feet are good (except for not pointing her toes on the ganchos) and her topline is good, but her mid-section needs more attack. She didn’t twist her hips all that well when she should have. Sorry, judges. I didn’t like it.

I enjoyed Dan & Nadiya’s cha cha. It was bonkers and fun. Was it a proper cha cha? Of course not! Dan’s right hand was very dodgy at times – he really needs to finish his arm lines properly. It was what Greg & Karen’s routine should have been.

There’s something very watchable about Judi. Was it a perfect waltz? No. Her footwork was poor, she didn’t move her head from left to right with the steps. Graziano spent a lot of the routine dancing around her. But I enjoyed seeing a softer side to Judi. She brought the emotion and romance. I look forward to seeing her do ballroom again.

Adam & Katya’s Argentine tango was a whole lot of lift. It was very intense, but I didn’t really feel anything other than thinking it was quite clever. Adam’s movement lacks finesse in the transitions. It seemed to lack non-lift content.

I really enjoyed AJ & Kai’s samba, and didn’t think it was as bad as the judges made out. OK, her batucadas were not great, but she had great rhythm and attack. She brought the party and I enjoyed it.

My favourites tonight were Rose and AJ. The weakest for me by a country mile for me was Greg, and if he's in the dance-off, his days are numbered. Judi and Dan could also be in trouble if they land in the dance-off.

It's such a good competition. It's going to get brutal as the weeks go on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home