Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, October 09, 2021

Saturday Service: Week 3

Theme weeks are always a bit of a gamble. Movie week can often not live up to the hype. Thankfully, there were enough good routines this time around.

Judi & Graziano’s Charleston was solid. It was far from being one we’ll remember in years to come, but she did a decent job. I loved the song choice, it was perfect for Judi. It could have been cheekier and quirkier, but it was a good performance.

 

Dan & Nadiya’s foxtrot was sweet, even if it didn’t quite work out. It did feel like Nadiya was leading from behind. It lacked a little bit of command and drive. I think Dan can bounce back from a disappointing week. As Shirley said, it is only week three.

 

I didn’t really enjoy Sara & Aliaž’s samba. It was just all a bit cringy. The dancing lacked a bit of bounce. She managed all of the choreography. I just felt like the theme overtook everything. And those shoes, but I guess green latin sandals aren’t a thing.

 

I loved AJ & Kai’s American smooth. I’m glad they went for a Viennese waltz rather than another foxtrot. The chemistry was amazing. The musicality of Kai’s routine was great, he really choreographed to the accents in the music. AJ’s quality had improved since last week. I thought the weakest part was the fleckerl, she started to lose her steps a little toward the end.

 

If you set aside the frankly bizarre Kermit & Piggy costumes, Robert & Dianne’s quickstep was actually quite good. There was a lot of quickstep content in the routine. As the judges noted, it wasn’t perfect, but he kept going and kept it together.

 

Greg was a little bit campy for Bond. His paso lacked fluidity and was a bit jerky. It was a little ‘small’ in places as well. It could have been so good, but it just didn’t hit the mark for me. Karen makes a wonderful Bond girl, though.

 

Some of Tilly’s jive was spot on, other parts of it were a bit heavy footed. It was a challenging routine, and Tilly was running out of energy toward the end. She was looking to Nikita a lot, she didn’t seem to be that confident with the choreography. There was a bit of a mistake in the middle. I think she is showing progression, though.

 

Rose & Giovanni’s foxtrot was beautiful. They moved and breathed as one. It was magical. Giovanni is the master of classy, simple ballroom choreography. It was fantastic.

 

Ugo & Oti did street commercial for their Couple’s Choice routine, and it worked well. There were a couple of nice tricks. It was the type of routine that means he didn’t have to worry about technique and he looked as though he enjoyed the performance. It was relaxed.

 

Tom & Amy’s jive was decent. High energy, with lots of flicks and sharp kicks. I found the guitar a bit cumbersome and wish they would have lost it earlier in the routine, but otherwise I liked it.

 

The rumba is a very exposing dance, and it’s really tough. I think Adam made some nice shapes, but his timing was not great. There were a couple of times he was ahead of the music and Katya had to hold him back a little.

 

I loved the Cruella movie, and I really wanted to love Katie & Gorka’s foxtrot American smooth, but I didn’t. I wanted more attitude in the characterisation. I also wanted cleaner footwork, and pointed toes on the kicks. It was a solid performance, but it just left me feeling a bit cold.

 

Rhys & Nancy’s street commercial Couple’s Choice was energetic and fun. Perfect for a kid’s TV presenter. It was a perfect routine for him. I did feel that it lacked a little bit of synchronicity – it wasn’t quite on point for me. I think it would have worked better as a solo.

 

Another strong performance from John & Johannes. Their paso picked up where their tango left off. John’s lines are just beautiful. It was powerful. They are fantastic in hold, and so in sync out of hold. I’m just gutted that the two most dramatic dances are already done. I hope the rest of their programme can live up to this.


My favourites of the night were Rose, AJ and John. I didn't really enjoy Robert or Sara, but I can't help thinking that Katie is a likely candidate for the bottom two again. I think Robert might join her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home