Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Service: Week 5

At last! Week 5 and the proper start to the competition. Would Cherie or Austin come out on top? Who will be starting the car?

I know the result has already been announced, but I am writing this without knowing what happened. I am a little late this week...

I agreed with the judges that Rachel needs to let go a bit more. But overall, there is very little to fault with her samba. Rachel & Vincent have a great partnership. I'm starting to wonder if Rachel's slightly stronger on the ballroom side. Rachel could use her hips more, but she's doing well. She has the potential to go far in the competition.

Lisa & Brendan's American smooth had wonderful old Hollywood glamour. The routine had great musicality. Lisa needs to watch her balance in places. Although my balance is terrible, especially on pirouettes so I won't hold that against her.

Heather & Brian's samba left me a bit cold. Like Rachel, Heather needs to relax and go for it a bit more. She had learnt the choreography, but she didn't look consumed by the music and the dance. The start was strong, but by halfway through, she seemed to be looking to Brian for prompts about what she was doing. If you're not sure what's coming next, it does affect your performance. You can't relax and perform if you're worrying about what comes next.

Cherie & James' American smooth was stylish and controlled. Cherie delivers every time she steps onto the floor. She is precise and places everything so well. You have to wonder if any dance will trip her up.

Mark continues to look awkward. He made errors in the samba. He shimmied and walked through most of the number, but simply didn't dance enough. That said, he had bags more attack than before. His acting lessons with John helped, but Hayley has her work cut out.

Don & Lilia did a solid job with the American smooth. Don needs to watch his shoulders, but otherwise he did OK. He also needs to enjoy the dance more, or at least look at though he is.

Austin didn't seem to be quite on his his game last night. His timing was out in several places. I hope Austin isn't becoming complacent. I think it was a off week for Austin. Erin's choreography was fun and lively.

My heart went out to Andrew after his American smooth. When he was out of hold, he stood tall and looked like a dancer. But when he got hold of Ola, he hunched over her. He needs to not dance down to her. Of course, the lift was not good, but the whole thing just didn't flow. It wasn't smooth.

Christine & Matthew did a nice samba, but something about it left me disappointed. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it was a wee bit untidy. She needs a little more control. Christine is infectious to watch though. Her love of dance really shines through. I hope she improves as the competition continues.

Jodie & Ian's American smooth had bags of musicality and glamour. Jodie is really starting to perform and seems to be over her early nerves. She is now starting to relax and enjoy what she is doing. She's going from awkward to elegant.

John's charm continues to carry him through. The samba was another charming effort. I loved Kristina's musical interpretation, but perhaps a little slow. John's timing isn't bad, even if his dancing isn't the greatest. I did grin all the way through his routine.

Tom was the smoothest dancer of the night. I loved the routine, I loved the performance, I loved everything about Tom & Camilla. I think they were better than Lisa & Brendan who ended with the same score. Tom had the character of the dance totally down. He presented his work brilliantly and looked fantastic. He wiped the floor with Austin, and everyone else. Fantastic.

It's difficult to choose a bottom two. It was a bad night for Andrew & Ola, so probably them. And with them I would probably put Mark & Hayley. I think Heather is a stronger dancer than Mark, and I have been taken in by John's charm.

Here are the videos..

Rachel & Vincent



Lisa & Brendan



Heather & Brian



Cherie & James



Mark & Hayley



Don & Lilia



Austin & Erin



Andrew & Ola



Christine & Matthew



Jodie & Ian



John & Kristina



Tom & Camilla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home