Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Strictly 2020: The Pairings

Before I get into how I think the couples will get on, I just have to talk about what a brilliant job the production team have done so far. While this will certainly be a unique series of Strictly, they have done as much as they can to maintain the magic. And it's what we all need right now.

Having the dancers quarantine and form a household to record the pro numbers was a brilliant idea, and if the numbers are half as good as those in the launch show, we are in for a treat. We have to appreciate that the pros and crew gave up time with their families to make that happen, and I for one am so glad they did.

I love the new distanced judges' desks. I want one for working from home!

I also really liked the couple reveals. This is how they used to do the pairings, and I like the dynamic. It felt more intimate and relaxed. Now on to those pairings...

Caroline & Johannes

I love this pairing. The nation fell in love with Johannes last year, and Caroline is sweet and funny. They are so well matched. I think they'll do well, because people will enjoy their partnership. While she didn't look the strongest in last night's group number, I can see her growing as she grows in experience.

Clara & Aljaž

Clara comes across so well, big smiles and bags of fun. I think she and Aljaž are a good match. He is well liked, so I think they could do quite well. She looked confident in the group number.

Ranvir & Giovanni

Ranvir said that she had been asking her Good Morning Britain colleagues for advice. Oh dear. The GMB squad doesn't have the best record on Strictly. And I'm sorry to say that, based on last night's group dance, she'll be following a similar path. She's clearly out of her comfort zone, so I think she's going to have to work hard if she wants to progress.

Harvey & Janette (aka HRVY & JNTT)

Watching the VT, I was already finding Harvey annoying. "H R V Y". Yes, yes, we get it. You're an edgy YouTuber. Whatever. Therefore I really wanted him to be a terrible dancer. Unfortunately, he looked like one of the strongest. He looked like he was leading Janette, and looked at ease on the floor. He could be a contender.

Jason & Luba

I feel like I am one of the few people who knows who Jason is. I'm excited that Luba has been paired with someone who appears to have a bit of dance ability. He's not as naturally gifted as Harvey, but with a bit of work, he could do well. I think he'll probably make mid-series. Americans have not fared that well on Strictly over the years, so I think he's probably looking at mid-series for an exit.

Jamie & Karen

Jamie didn't get to rejoin Oti, but has been pared with Karen. Looking at the group dance, Jamie is definitely at the weaker end. Karen is a fan favourite, but I'm not sure it will be enough. He could be back in Chelsea pretty quickly.

Nicola & Katya

I've liked Nicola since 2012. She always comes across as warm and friendly, and she is blessed with a smile which could light up Blackpool. She's a serial TikTocker, and has a very relaxed and earthy dance style. I cannot wait to see the routines Katya comes up with. She's one of the most imaginative choreographers on the show - who can forget her lean back move with Joe or that Matrix move with Seann? The same-sex pairing will give her something new to play with. I can imagine lead swapping and gender f*ckery in a way we have never seen before. They looked sharp in the group number, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.

Jacqui & Anton

This pairing was inevitable. And I don't really see it going anywhere. Definitely candidates for an early exit. Jacqui looked the weakest in the group number. Expect her hanging on for dear life during pivots, and the return of Anton's signature 'chuck & slide'.

Maisie & Gorka

Maisie is definitely the ringer of 2020. She's already a Strictly CIN champion. And she brought it in the group number. Confidence, obvious ability and hair that she can toss for days, plus the EastEnders audience who always vote in droves. I will be very shocked if she is not in the final.

JJ & Amy

Our Celtic couple are cute but, dare I say it, might be a bit dull. Two kids-next-door together don't really excite me, and JJ looked a bit awkward on the floor. He doesn't have a lot of natural ability. He's relatively unknown, so is going to have to work hard to get the public on side. But he's a military man, so is not afraid of hard work and being told what to do. I think if Amy can channel her drill instructor side, which we all know she has, they might be able to pull it out of the bag.

Bill & Oti

Bill looked pretty good in the group number. He has rhythm and ability, so if Oti drills him on technique, he could do pretty well. I think the public will enjoy their partnership.

Max and Dianne

Max looked good in the group number. Quirky Dianne will hopefully be able to find a zany side to Max for dances like the Charleston, but I think he'll be a whizz at the more serious numbers. Brooding.

This is looking like an incredibly strong series. The fact that the pros will live away from their families for the duration will likely mean they are more focused than ever. They are sacrificing a lot just to be a part of the show. I cannot wait for next Saturday! Let's do this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home