Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, December 08, 2018

Saturday Service: Week 12

It seems that the toll of two dances proved too much for some of the couples this week. It's wasn't the best week for anyone.

I'm not sure how you make a flappy bird look gangly, but Stacey managed it. Stacey is a lovely person, I adore her enthusiasm for Strictly, but she has always struggled to control her long limbs. While she didn't miss a step in her Charleston with Kevin, I found it difficult to watch. I know Charleston is a 'free' dance, but I wanted it to be a bit neater.

The Charleston was still better than their Viennese waltz. Choreographically, I hated it. It took 20 minutes to get into hold, they did a fleckerl and a couple of turns, and then they were out of hold again. Viennese waltz can be a beautiful dance, but this was dull. A wasted opportunity. On top of that, Stacey's technique wasn't great. She missed heel leads. 

For me, Joe & Dianne's Viennese waltz lacked drive. That level of dry ice makes me very suspicious! Joe could have had straighter legs. It was OK, but not a showstopper.

Sadly, their Argentine tango wasn't a showstopper either. I liked the atmosphere. But Joe's posture wasn't right. He seemed to be hunching over Dianne. And he wasn't leading. Both of them seemed to be anticipating the moves rather than leading and following. Not good.

I loved Ashley & Pasha's paso doble. I just love watching Ashley. She was dramatic and precise. I diagree with the judges that it lacked passion. I thought it was amazing.

Ashley is a safe pair of hands. I feel calm when she walks on to the dance floor, because you know it'll be good. Their American smooth was as solid as always. Beautiful lines, and I loved the attitude lift. Great footwork, too.

Nutbush City Limits has to be about the worst song choice for a tango, and one of the worst picks of the series. I'll take disco salsa over dodgy tango. So the odds were against Lauren & AJ from the start. Lauren started well, but seemed to disengage and lose focus about halfway through the dance. Bruno's point about her walks was spot on. She has such great poise in hold, and then walks like she's in the high street.

It was such a shame that Lauren made so many mistakes in the samba. It was a very sweet little routine. Her natural rolls were quite nice, but she lacked hip action on the voltres. It's not enough at this stage.

I was a little disappointed by Faye & Giovanni's samba. It had looked amazing in the training footage on It Takes Two, but Faye's hip action didn't seem as good on the night. Maybe it was the dropped waist on the dress. I'm not sure. Loved the routine, though. Graceful and traditional.

Their Argentine tango was also very traditional, and possibly the best we've seen this series. Faye followed Giovanni perfectly. There was light and shade in the routine. It had drama. I can see why it was saved for the end. I just wish that Faye hadn't lost her tango face. She slipped out of character and smiled.

I think the dances of the night were Ashley's paso and Faye's Argentine tango.

It's so hard to predict who will be in the bottom two. Joe has a legion of young fans, while Stacey & Kevin are the housewives' choice. I suspect both might go through. Which leaves Lauren in the dance-off with Ashley (probably) or Faye (unlikely).

Worst case scenario would be Ashley and Faye both in the dance-off. I think it's unlikely, and either of them would easily knock out any of the other three. I voted for both of them only tonight. I appreciate that few people want Ashley to win, but the final would be poorer without her in it. And we need to see Faye's Charleston again.

I can't wait for tomorrow's results show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home