Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Saturday Service: Week 3

Theme weeks are always filled with expectation. Sometimes they hit. Sometimes they miss. This year's movie week was a show of two halves.

Karen & Simon kicked things off with their quickstep. Quite why Jessie would be dancing with Buzz I'm not sure. Well, unless he was in Spanish mode. Anyway, their quickstep wasn't that great. There was so much gapping, Bullseye the horse could have run straight between them. The whole thing lacked finesse. It was all a bit bumpy, and lacked sophistication.

Ruth & Anton had a tough job, performing the first rumba of the series. There were a few things wrong with it - Ruth lacked hip action, her running promenades lacked conviction and there were a few timing issues. But I still kind of enjoyed it.

Mollie & AJ's American smooth was all a bit dull. It was elegant and controlled, but lacked any wow factor. Frankly, my mind wandered while watching the routine. I should be caught up in their performance, not in my own thoughts.

March, pose, march, pose. Rev. Richard & Diane's paso had some recognisable steps, but there was no technique on the Rev's part. I like Richard as a person, but as a dancer, he lacks the charm that is required to keep a weak celebrity in. I think he'll stick around for a few weeks, but may not make Blackpool.

Debbie & Giovanni perked up the night with their quickstep. Some proper dancing! The routine was very light. Debbie is fleet of foot. Unlike Simon & Karen, they maintained good body contact. The whole thing was charming.

Brian & Amy were much better this week. Brian definitely seemed to have taken the American smooth much more seriously than the cha cha. It was quite sweet. You could see he had worked on his technique. However, there was too much out of hold for me. But in hold, everything fell a bit flat.

I enjoyed Gemma & Aljaž's Charleston. It was cheeky, lively, fun and energetic. Gemma is very watchable. She's quietly getting on with it, and I think she could be around for a good while.

Charlotte & Brendan's tango was much better than last week's dance disaster. They had good chemistry. It was a big improvement, although there were still some mis-steps in the middle. It wasn't quite staccato and sharp enough.

Jonnie's paso lacked passion for me. I thought his performance was a bit wooden. He needs to watch his bottom, which he had a tendency to stick out. I hope Oti was nagging him about it. It made for an unattractive line. Also unattractive was the Keith Lemon/early James Jordan vibe I was getting from his look. Just me?

Susan's Wonder Woman samba was a ray of light, finally making me smile. Kevin had put lots of recognisable samba content in the routine. OK, so Susan lacked hip action, but she was so entertaining. I loved it. Although lacking technique, Susan did all the correct steps, and kept up with a quick routine.

Joe & Katya's Viennese waltz was lovely. It had lots of content, which Joe executed well. Joe looked in control throughout, and was able to lead Katya. A fantastic job. Like Gemma, Joe is just quietly getting on with things.

Aston & Janette were awesome again. There was so much content in their cha cha routine, which was well presented throughout. They are just so watchable. Appropriately, Janette seems to have Troll-ed Brendan with a beautiful pot stir.

Alexandra & Gorka were gorgeous once again. Their American smooth was so smooth. It was all musical theatre loveliness. It was a great dance for Alexandra, and it gave me a loverly warm glow. I missed Len for the first time tonight, as their props were begging for a 'barrowboy' reference.

Davood & Nadiya's samba was too disco for my taste. There were some nice walks and promenade runs, but it had far less samba content than Susan & Kevin's routine. What he lacked in content, he made up for in hip action, though. The look on Darcey and Shirley's faces when he was up on the judges' desk was a picture.

My votes went to Aston, Joe and Susan, who all entertained me in their own ways. For me, the bottom was Simon. I just did not enjoy his quickstep at all. I'd probably put Charlotte or Rev. Richard in the bottom two with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home