Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Strictly: The Pairings

The Strictly launch show was broadcast on Saturday, where the pairings were revealed. Thankfully, I had managed to avoid all but one spoiler, so I didn't know what to expect.

Gemma Atkinson & Aljaž Škorjanec
Gemma & Aljaž look great together. Gemma seems to be really up for it, and she's got a great partner in a former champion. I think they'll get on well.

Debbie McGee & Giovanni Pernice
There were lots of smiles and cuddles between Debbie & Giovanni, which is a good sign. Debbie has such great poise and posture that I think she'll do well. He's a little tall perhaps, but I think they'll make it work.

Chizzy Adukolu & Pasha Kovalev
Chizzy looks so excited to be in the show, and seemed glad to be partnered with Pasha. Pasha always seems the least tactile of the male pros to me, and the most 'professional'. But he has lots of fans, so maybe I'm missing something. I love Chizzy's enthusiasm, and she has a smile brighter than the national grid. Can't wait to see her shaking her booty.

Ruth Langsford & Anton du Beke
This seemed like an obvious pairing, and I think they'll have lots of fun. I don't think Ruth will go as far as Katie Derham, but Anton's fans will probably keep her in for a while. Ruth already seems to have a lot of support.

Aston Merrygold & Janette Manrara
Was there any chance that Aston was going to be paired with any other pro? Aston's trying to downplay his dance experience, but I think it's clear that he doesn't exactly have two left feet. I expect we'll see a few flips, too.

Reverend Richard Coles & Dianne Buswell
Richard is going to be fun to watch, in that comedy kind of way. Dianne needs to prove herself as a new pro, in the way that Katya did with Edd last year. I think she's got her work cut out, but Richard is such a character that I think the public will want to see him in for a while.

Davood Ghadami & Nadiya Bychkova
I don't have any strong feelings about this couple at all at the moment. An actor from a soap I don't watch, with a new pro. Difficult. We'll see...

Simon Rimmer & Karen Clifton
Mid-table for this pair, I think. Simon will work hard, but I don't think he'll have the ability to reach the latter stages.

Charlotte Hawkins & Brendan Cole
I don't have high hopes for Charlotte. Especially as she's from GMB, and celebrities from ITV breakfast are generally dance disasters (Susannah doesn't count, as she was with the BBC at the time she participated). Again, mid-table.

Mollie King & AJ Pritchard
This pair should do well. She's a pop princess, who despite her protestations, will be able to dance quite naturally. You don't end up in a girl band unless you can move. Apart from Geri Halliwell, but her personality got her through. AJ needs to push her and himself. He did well with Claudia last year, but I think she could have done even better if he'd pushed more.

Susan Calman & Kevin Clifton
I never expected Susan to react in the way she did to being partnered with her dream partner. She's really emotionally invested in the show already. I love it! It was about time Kevin got someone with less experience (I actually do believe Susan's protestations). Since Susan is one of the lesser known celebrities, she couldn't have got a better pro than the hugely popular Kevin.

Alexandra Burke & Gorka Marquez
Alexandra, West End star, is a ringer of Denise van Outen proportions. I like the pairing with Gorka, whose exit was premature last year. Hopefully we'll get to see more of what he can do.

Joe McFadden & Katya Jones
More mid-table here I think. Katya was great last year with Edd. Hopefully she'll have a slightly easier time with Joe.

Jonnie Peacock & Oti Mabuse
This is my favourite pairing. Jonnie is a driven, competitive Paralympic gold-medal winning athlete. Oti is an ambitious taskmaster. They should be amazing.

Brian Conley & Amy Dowden
Brian is an entertainer, presenter, comedian and West End actor, who was once the highest paid person on television with the biggest Saturday night show. He hasn't been on TV regularly for a long time, so I'm not sure younger viewers will know who he is. Amy is a new pro, without a fanbase. It's not going to be easy for them.

So that's it. Our fabulous fifteen.

Based on a few glimpses during the group number, the ones standing out for me were Alexandra and Aston. Chizzy and Debbie also looked pretty good. Standing out for other reasons were Richard, who is set to become a fan favourite surely, and Charlotte who was a bit out of step in a few places.

Here is the video, in case you missed it:


The competition begins on 23rd September.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home