Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Saturday Service: Week 1

I hope you're sitting comfortably. This is going to be a long one...

Gemma & Aljaž had the unenviable task of going first, with a cha cha. For someone with no dance experience, Gemma did really well. She had to start the routine by herself, and looked a tad nervous, but who wouldn't? Her timing was good. It was powerful. She needs more control, but that will come. Great start.

Brian & Amy had the tango, a pretty challenging dance for week 1. Brian definitely had the performance, but the dancing wasn't so good. His timing was OK, but his topline was iffy. We'll see how he goes with the next dance.

There was no doubting that Alexandra & Gorka were going to be good, and they were. The chemistry between them was lovely, romantic and intimate, but I didn't feel excluded from the moment. Nice rise and fall, as you would expect in the waltz. A lovely start.

Those fingers. That stamping. Simon & Karen's paso was not pretty. I found myself literally saying "Oh my!" several times early in the performance. Four dances in, and I'm already thinking he could be bottom two material.

I definitely think Charlotte & Brendan drew the short straw with the foxtrot. There were some heel leads missing, but she definitely got some of them. There were some awkward arm transitions, but I'm sure the fluidity will come with time. She looked beautiful, like Debbie Reynolds. And we've already had a "this girl" from Brendan. Drink!

I enjoyed Chizzy's performance, but she didn't seem that connected with Pasha. It was like we were watching the Chizzy show. She was having fun. Her cha cha walks over to the desk were not very pretty. Her timing was off in places. A mixed bag. I hope she gets the chance to show us more.

I enjoyed Jonnie & Oti's waltz. Jonnie looks great, nice poise, although it started to sink as the dance went on. I liked the chemistry between them. I can't wait to see how he does with some of the more aggressive dances.

Joe & Katya's jive was high energy. Joe coped well with a packed routine. Great performance. It was cute and fun. Good timing. I think he'll be around for a while.

I didn't expect Susan to be that good, but she surprised me. The Viennese waltz was always going to be difficult with her little legs, and she did look like she was clinging on to Kevin for dear life. I enjoyed the story. It was enjoyable to watch.

Debbie's legs are amazing! Those kicks and splits were incredible. Her balance was off in one or two places, but otherwise it was a good performance. An aggressive and strong paso. A brilliant start for Debbie & Giovanni

Davood & Nadiya's cha cha was a bit frantic. I totally agreed with Darcey that Davood was leading the dance. He looked good, and I think he has heaps of potential. Transparent shirt for the first week is also a winner.

Ruth & Anton's waltz was very woolly. She really needs to work on her core strength. It would help with her posture and her balance. When you're with the ballroom king, the end result should be better. I really didn't like it as much as the judges seemed to.

There wasn't that much basic cha cha in Rev. Richard & Dianne's routine. His timing was good, but his technique wasn't. It was very camp, very stompy, but actually very enjoyable too. I want to see more.

Mollie's facial expressions were wonderful. Her timing was good. Her legs were too bent, which made it feel a bit stompy. I felt that routine was a bit too focused on AJ in places, I don't think he showed her off that well.

I'm not surprised that they saved Aston & Janette until last. What a performance! It felt more like an American smooth than a foxtrot. Aston lead Janette around the floor, and was in total control. A strong performance.

Aston is definitely the one to beat. Alexandra and Debbie will be nipping at his heels. If I was sending someone home tonight, it would be Simon. It's a good thing they all get another dance next week.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lou
    Really enjoyed your comments - agreed with everything you say. Not so keen on the show at this stage, gets much more interesting three or four weeks in. One thing that's driving me crazy,and nothing to do with the dancing, was a woman in the audience that I couldn't identify but was very familiar. She was sitting next to Susan Calman's wife on the front row and had blonde hair and glasses. Pretty irrelevant I know but I just need putting out of my OCD misery as to who she was and thought you might know!!

     
  • At 1:14 pm, Blogger Loulabelle44 said…

    I don't recognise her. Sorry!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home