Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday Musings: Week 14 - The Final

Apologies for the delay in blogging about the final, but I had connection issues.

The final was very entertaining, as it was quite close between the two finalists - the dancer vs the entertainer.

Ballroom

As in previous years, the finalists could choose which dances they wanted to perform again.

Last week I wondered why Ricky & Natalie didn't dance the quickstep. It was because they were saving it for the final. It was an absolute treat. It was fast, nippy and covered the floor perfectly. It had great energy and mood, and I loved the section up the stairs toward the end.

Chris & Ola's foxtrot had great musicality. It was charming and elegant.

Lindyhop

The lindy routine was great fun, but didn't show either couple in their best light. Both couples were entertaining, though. I loved the choreography, especially the ending with Ricky having Natalie and Ola on his back. Ricky & Natalie were a little more laboured, but were very slick. This dance does not suit the tall. Chris & Ola were fun, but not as clean. It was interesting that the judges all gave the same scores for both couples, except Darcey who thought Chris & Ola were better. I couldn't have split them either.

'Latin'

I do think it was possibly a little unfair that Chris & Ola were able to do their Charleston in the 'latin' round, as it's not really latin. But it was still brilliant, and I think it was the dance of the series for me. It'll be one of those talked-about dances for years to come - the type that is in the opening credits of Choreography Corner on It Takes Two.

Ricky & Natalie's cha cha was just brilliant. It was easily Ricky's best latin dance, and he made it look so easy. It was slick, sexy and cool.

I have to take a minute to mention Jade & Ian's tango, which was a nice distraction during the final. I can't help wondering how it would have been had Jade not been injured, and had been able to dance at the time, at the height of her training. It was another great routine from Ian, and I can see why there was a buzz about it. Such a shame Jade was at the final, but not in the final...

Showdances

I liked Chris & Ola's routine. It was fun, and I liked the music selection. Perfect for Chris. It had some impressive lifts. As Bruno noted, it wasn't flawless. They missed a few hand grabs. However, it didn't throw them at all, and they recovered very well. It showcased Chris' personality, which is exactly what we expected it to do.

I thought Ricky & Natalie's dance was a total show-stopper. It had fantastic lifts - especially that no-handed one. I thought it was an inspired music choice. I loved it. It had a beautiful slow section, some brilliant cha cha and it was lift-tastic. Phenomenal.

For me, Ricky & Natalie had the edge. Their dancing was on a level way ahead of their opponents. That said, I am not sad to see Chris & Ola lift the glitterball. They have worked hard, and Chris has improved immensely. They have been entertaining, and are worthy winners.

I have to admit, this has not been a vintage Strictly year. The whole series has wandered from controversy to controversy which have clouded the public's view of the show. And even putting that aside, this series has had few standout performances and little excitement.

Thanks for reading my thoughts and musings over the past three months. Don't forget, this blog is updated throughout the year. I'll be blogging about the Christmas Special. And I'll be writing reviews of upcoming events such as Craig Revel Horwood in panto (I'm going, oh yes I am) and the Strictly winter and spring tours. Plus all the usual Strictly rumours and gossip.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep reading, and keeeeeeeeeeeeeeep dancing!

Ricky & Natalie - quickstep



Chris & Ola - foxtrot



Lindyhop



Chris & Ola - Charleston



Ricky & Natalie - cha cha



Chris & Ola - showdance



Ricky & Natalie - showdance



The moment of truth...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home