Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Saturday Suppositions: Week 11

Week 11, and it's time for the couples to perform two dances each. Perhaps it is taking on two routines that will start to break the pack apart.

My heart was pounding from the moment Rachel & Vincent started their waltz. It was simply divine. The most emotional waltz since Alesha & Matthew last year. It made my eyes glaze over - a rare occurrence for me. I loved the opening with Rachel behind Vincent, it was as sweet and tender as their Viennese waltz. Like the foxtrot, I don't have a bad word to say. I have been so impressed with Rachel in recent weeks, even if I didn't think the rumba was a 10.

Rachel seemed to find her stride in the paso about halfway through. When she did it was amazing. At the start, while her feet and body were excellent, she lacked expression on her face. That is exactly the sort of thing that let her down at the start of the competition. Suddenly, her face came to life in the middle, and from that point on it was excellent. As much as I love Vincent, I could have lived without so much cape work at the start, and would have preferred Rachel to be more involved from the beginning.

Lisa had the most engaging smile when she stepped out from behind the curtain. She lit up the room. She truly loves this programme. I loved Lisa & Brendan's foxtrot. It was quite American smoothy in feel, with some lovely choreography - especially in the opening and close. Lisa is elegant and dances so well in the ballroom. I agree with Len that it was her best dance so far.

I thought the cha cha was absolutely brilliant on all counts. Great song, brilliant choreography with plenty of basic and more complex choreography. Lisa was fantastic. Her turns have all the control that was lacking at the start of the competition, and she has brilliant control of her long legs now. She straightens her legs, and uses her feet giving her great hip action. And a smile that could light up a small town. Her best latin dance so far in my mind. In fact, one of the best latin dances of the entire series.

Personally, I think Christine would have benefited from dancing to traditional tango music. A poppy classic like Addicted To Love will not evoke the same kind of passion as a typical tango piece. There wasn't much drama. I'm sure she must have taken on board what Felicity had said, but it didn't have a Gethin-style effect on her. It was not in the same league as Rachel and Lisa. And I think Matthew missed a trick on the line "Your body shakes", where he could have put in that move where the shoulders shake and the leg drags in (sorry, it's a long time since I've done it and I can't remember what it's called - Anton always does them).

The salsa was better for Christine than the tango, and Christine looked much more comfortable with it. It was a nice performance, but not a wowing performance. Performance can make up for a lack of dance talent, but I think it is clear that Christine's time in the competition is now up.

Austin & Erin also had a very smoothy feel to their foxtrot. Their routine was excellent, although perhaps Austin could have had a teeny weeny bit more drive. I'm being very picky though. It was an excellent performance. It's always difficult for the guys, and he is in complete control.

Erin was very brave to put in all the shouting, especially without music at the top of the routine, but it worked brilliantly. Austin totally got into the character of the paso. As always, Erin's choice of traditional music worked a treat. Austin needs to watch his timing in places when he's not in hold. And although paso walks are odd for the men with the hips pushed forward, I thought Austin looked a little mincy. But that is just my opinion and I'm being picky again.

Tom & Camilla's waltz was simple but effective. It was lovely. Tom appears to be a little flat footed at times, and needs to watch his shoulders, which come up ever so slightly, but again, I'm being very picky here. Seven from Craig? That was very, very, very harsh!! Unfair, in fact.

I loved their samba. It really did feel like the party dance. Bags of energy and enthusiasm. I loved the routine with plenty of basic. Tom's voltres could have had more hip action, but that was my only criticism of an excellent routine.

Bottom two. Well, Chritsine without a doubt, but it's impossible to pick anyone else. I'm dreading tonight's show. It's going to be heartbreaking to see anyone else leave.

Here are the videos...

Rachel & Vincent - waltz



Rachel & Vincent - paso doble



Lisa & Brendan - foxtrot



Lisa & Brendan - cha cha



Christine & Matthew - tango



Christine & Matthew - salsa



Austin & Erin - foxtrot



Austin & Erin - paso doble



Tom & Camilla - waltz



Tom & Camilla - samba

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home