Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Week 1: Monday Musings

Here are a few of my thoughts on Week 1 of Strcitly Come Dancing...

I thought all of the men were really good. There were no Quentin Wilsons or David Dickinsons here. All of the men were capable of getting further in the competition, and that was something I was really pleased to see.

Matt and Lilia did a good job. It must have been awful to have to go first, and I'm sure Matt will be more relaxed in two weeks time when he has to dance again.

Nicholas and Nicole did well. Nicholas didn't make any noticeable mistakes and put in a solid first effort.

I knew good things were in store within the first four bars of Ray and Camilla's Can You Feel It. Like Arlene, I felt it! Their chemistry is going to be hard to top. They look great together on the floor.

Peter and Erin did a graceful waltz. I loved the opening choreography, where they performed the same steps before taking the hold. I think Peter will improve, although he may struggle with the Latin dances because of his size. And we got our first bit of classic Len, when he told Arlene she should've gone to SpecSavers! And that was quickly followed by describing Peter's arms as "two bits of elastic hanging from a knicker leg".

Spoony and Ola were excellent. Of the new dancers to the competition, I think I have warmed to Ola the most. She is an amazing dancer, and has the sweetest little face. I loved her and James' part of the show number. I can't wait to see more of her and James on the show. I didn't notice Spoony's inturned toes on the first viewing of their routine, but on rewinding and reviewing, it's quite clear. I think this could be the biggest correction battle since Darren Gough's hands!

Jimmy and Flavia gave a competent waltz. Jimmy was looking at his feet a bit, but I can forgive that on week one. But as Craig, I think, commented, he kept time throughout. Being able to keep time is often the biggest hurdle, so if he can do that, it's a good start.

I loved Mark and Karen. Mark's footwork was fab, and Karen's choreography was great. I didn't mind the clappy bit in the middle, as it fitted in with the fun mood of the dance. I'm looking forward to more from them.

I was delighted that the first part of the group mambo was to Johnny's Mambo from Dirty Dancing. I love that piece of music! I have to admit that I thought Georgina was the weakest of the bunch. She was same-arm-as-leg (a pet hate of mine) at one point and didn't look as confident as the others. I think Emma and Louisa were probably the strongest, with Claire, Carol and Mica snapping at their heels. I'm looking forward to Jan's quickstep. I think ballroom might be more her thing than mambo, and she'll be quickstepping with The Master, Anton. Mica's rumba should be pretty slinky, judging by her moves at the beginning of the mambo. But like Denise Lewis, she might struggle with the pacey Latin routines because of her long limbs.



I thought the bottom two were the right bottom two this week. But I don't think either of them deserved to be voted off, and was a shame to see either of them go. I was gutted for Nicole, especially as she was so excited to be back on SCD.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I felt terrible for poor Nicole - as if it wasn't bad enough that Brucie refered to her as "one of our new professionals". I hope that they make sure she gets a goodun next series.

    I agree with you that Ola is an amazing dancer but what is with all the teeth gnashing? It was really off-putting to watch, especially during the Sunday repeat when I couldn’t take my eyes of it!!!

    I love, love, love Karen and Mark. I adored the choreography and thought it was harsh for Arlene to tell Mark off for the hand clapping – I’m sure it wasn’t his idea! I did a similar thing in a routine once and it was the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done; if it goes wrong you are stuffed. It is massively tricky to recover from and looks terrible if it's done badly, so I thought it was very brave of Karen in week one.

    I could go on and on about how much I loved it but will simply say it was the best first show yet.

     
  • At 1:12 pm, Blogger Loulabelle44 said…

    Yes, I only picked up on Bruce calling Nicole a "new" dancer on second viewing. I didn't like it either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home