Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Monday, October 31, 2022

Monday Musings: Week 6

Week six, and already our third theme week of the series. Halloween is one we always look forward to, but it's sometimes a treat, but quite often a trick.

Tony & Katya's quickstep was OK, but there were so many timing issues. His timing was especially bad out of hold. I thought the judges were overly complimentary. I just didn't see what they saw in it. I liked the walkover lift thing at the end, but otherwise it left me cold. I think he has done better in other weeks.

I can't help thinking that the mummy theme of Will & Nancy's cha cha might have saved him a little bit. Perhaps I'm no giving him credit, but it would be easy to hide technical flaws behind the styling. I did like it, I'm just not sure about it as a choice. It was good fun, but it's hard to judge as a classic cha cha.

I really liked Kym & Graziano's rumba. Kym's technique was really good, wonderful straight legs, beautiful armlines. Great acting. The routine had light and shade, quickness and stillness.  Kym is getting more and more confident and it's great to see. Probably Kym's best dance so far.

James & Amy's Charleston was not the most exciting choreographically. It had some big lifts, which all seemed to have a long preparation to get into. Some of the lifts were quite challenging, but it's a shame they were so clunky. James had nice swivvel in the beginning when he was on his own, but when he was in the loose hold it was totally lacking.

I loved Molly & Carlos' Argentine tango. It was full of drama and atmosphere. Molly's lines were clean and she looked gorgeous. I see where Craig was coming from though, perhaps she was anticipating the choreography a little, but it's hard for an amateur to make it look spontaneous when it is so choreographed. And to be honest, I didn't care. It was a lovely routine to watch.

Tyler & Dianne's cha cha was a hoot. I loved the styling, I loved the references to Beetlejuice. I could have lived without the handkerchief section in the middle, as it took away from the cha cha content. Great musicality. Very enjoyable.

I loved Helen & Gorka's foxtrot because it had so much foxtrot content, which was so beautifully executed. Lovely footwork and lovely lines. She'd getting better and better, especially on the performance side. She had a gorgeous smile, which shows how much she is starting to relax. Yes, there was some gapping, but overall it was a great routine well performed.

I liked Hamza & Jovita's tango for the most part. Something bothered me about his frame. I agreed with Anton that his left hand was slightly too far forward. It made things a little off. Aside from that, his technique was good. Lovely drive and a nice line in other areas. It seemed to me that this dance was not his vibe. He didn't seem comfortable with this dark kind of character. And I didn't like it as much as other Hamza performances.

I really didn't get the theme of Fleur & Vito's salsa. What did the fortune teller thing have to do with the song? It had a bit too much power again, and lacked the armography that I love to see in a salsa. It was a decent dance, but quite forgettable.

I thought the judges were unnecessarily harsh on Ellie & Nikita's foxtrot. Her footwork was so clear and clean. Absolutely brilliant. Perhaps it wasn't the most inspired, especially out of hold, but I really liked it. Perhaps it was a dance, rather than a whole performance. But it was some of the best technique we've seen this series.

I liked the acting part of Ellie & Johannes' couples' choice, but the routine itself left me cold. It seemed to be a bunch of skirt swishing and spins. I didn't find it all that entertaining, and I just don't see what the judges saw. Ellie performed it very well, but the choreography just didn't do it for me. The judges liked it but didn't say much, because... couples' choice!

My favourites of the week Tyler, Helen, Kym and Mollie.

The bottom two for me were James and Tony, and it felt right for James to leave, especially against Fleur.

But I am certain I wasn't watching the same show as the judges this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home