Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Sunday Service: Week 5

Kelvin & Oti lucked out by having the cha cha the week after the rumba. The two dances share a lot of the same figures. Great hips, and a great lead. I felt that in places he was concentrating on his feet and hips and stopped thinking about his arms. Sometimes they weren't fully stretched. That's not to take anything away. He was still brilliant.

Nadiya tried as hard to keep David's feet as still as possible, but he had to do some jive steps sometime. He tried hard, and it was watchable. I didn't want to hide behind a cushion or anything. It's a shame there were a couple of mistakes. A good effort, but it feels like the writing is on the wall. And why was Nadiya in those boots? They didn't look right with that frock.

Catherine & Johannes did a very good job with a poor music choice. The music didn't have any moments of drama, which meant it was never going to be very exciting. Catherine was sharp and got all of the choreography correct. There was just something lacking, but I can't put my finger on what. I'd love to see them do another tango to something else.

Karim & Amy's salsa was full on. Packed with steps, and all executed with precision and accuracy. Lifts, tricks, armography. It was all in there. I thought the song choice was going to hinder this routine, but far from it. If I was being uber critical, he went in for the last too early, which meant you could see it coming from a mile off. But that's Craig level of detail...

Michelle & Giovani's rumba was lovely. Lovely basic steps. Good chemistry, especially at the end. It could have delivered more. Maybe the judges were right, there could have more undulation through the body, but it didn't make it any less enjoyable.

For me, there was something not quite right about Emma & Anton's paso. Maybe she lacked a bit of balance. Maybe it lacked a bit of fluidity in the transitions. I don't know. The performance was there, for sure. And the choreography was OK. I just wasn't moved. Unlike other couples, they had a half-decent music selection.

This was the Alex we have been waiting for! Girl was having fun with that Charleston. Great choreoraphy. Alex looked relaxed and was having a blast with Neil. The timing was great. She looked cool. I loved it!

Quite a traditional Viennese from Emma & Aljaž. A decent frame. Emma kept up with the choregraphy. I didn't like the set dressing, which cut off half the floor. I presume that was deliberate so they didn't have to travel so far. Standing spins rather than fleckerls is a bit disappointing. I had a hard time getting past the all-white outfits for a song about adultery, but that's just me. Perhaps a tad overmarked.

I enjoyed Mike & Katya's samba for what it was - a novelty dance. I liked the way Katya used the accents in the music for the natural rolls. I liked the nods to Alphonso's dance. As a samba, it was an abomination. As a novelty crowd pleaser, it was a triumph.

Will & Janette's contemporary routine was very sweet. Great emotion. I liked the choreography. It was nice for him to be able to dance without rules and just connect with the story and the music. I missed happy, bouncy Will, though.

Chris & Karen's quickstep was quite skippy. Totally agree with Craig's point about the 'mini' steps. He didn't exactly fly around the floor. Technically, it still needs work, but it was quite fun.

I think the foxtrot might be Saffron's best dance so far. Her basic foxtrot steps were really clean and nicely executed - lovely heel turn, lovely upturned toes on the backward steps. The out-of-hold elements were really showbiz. AJ had clearly pushed her, and it worked. She especially lit up after catching the cane at the end. I've done routines where I've had to catch a cane, and you spend the whole routines worrying about it. Once the move is over you can finally relax. She definitely did that. Overmeaked, though. Can't believe Alphonso awarded a Donny Ten. I thought he had more integrity than that.

Best of the night for me were Karim and Alex.

Bottom two for me is a little trickier. Definitely David. Mike is weaker dancer than Chris, but this week I enjoyed the stupid novelty of his routine, while Chris left me a bit cold. I'm usually a Chris fan, but not really think week. Either way, David has to be in the dance-off, and has to go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home