Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Service: Week 11

This year's crop of celebrities are so close that it's going to be a fantastic final. Last night's semi-final produced some great performances.

I got quite annoyed with Len complaining about Craig and Darcey's nitpicking. This is the semi-final. Now is the time to be ultra critical, not to turn a blind eye. With the competition being so close, the judges should be looking for the things which separate the couples.

I liked Dani & Vincent's American smooth. Dani's heel turns were very nice, and she turned her toes up on the backward steps well. Her running promenades were also very nice. It was perhaps lacking a bit of 'wow' factor. I was surprised that it got two 8s and two 9s. I thought it would be 9s from all four judges.

Dani & Vincent's Argentine tango had the 'wow' factor which the foxtrot was missing. I loved the silent opening. The choreography was, of course, brilliant. Dani performed with wonderful technique and intensity. It could have been a little bit 'hotter' perhaps, but a very good performance.

Louis & Flavia's jive went pretty much how we all expected. Louis is not into the happy clappy dances and it shows. His jive was lacking in technique. It was flat footed, and he needs to point his toes on the flicks. I really liked the 'through the legs' move. However, I found it all a bit uncomfortable. The judges praised the performance side, which has improved without a doubt, but it still feels really forced.

The foxtrot was a bit better, but again Louis was gifted with 'moody' music. There wasn't really anything Hollywood about the routine. It was nicely danced and they covered the floor really well. I loved the ending of the routine. It was elegant, but Louis doesn't excite me.

Denise & James' tango was clean, staccato and sharp. The routine was very full of content. It had lots of drive and intensity. I agree with Darcey that her legs could have been straighter on the kicks.

James always seems to come up with gorgeous rumba routines (Cherie and Pamela both performed beautiful routines with James), and Denise's was no exception. I thought it was stunning. It had such a wonderful, romantic feeling. Such yearning. Denise's extensions are just beautiful. I especially loved the contemporary spin on the floor - straight out of a modern lyrical routine. 

I agreed with Len about Kimberley & Pasha's American smooth - there just wasn't quite enough time in hold. I wanted more foxtrot. It felt like a show dance routine. That said, it was a brilliant performance. I may sound a bit like Craig here, but the only thing I didn't like was Kimberley's free arm on the kicky lift. It was just left dangling.

Their Charleston was fantastic. Kimberley had just the right amount of goofy. It was fun, and it did fly. The cartwheel section was amazing, and so neat. Kimberley performed with such abandon - just as a Charleston should be. It had lovely transitions. Loved it.

Lisa & Robin's salsa lacked intensity for me. It was fun, but it needed more control. I actually found it a bit embarrassing. I didn't think it was final worthy. It was quite brave to go for the floor spin, but it didn't come off. I'm glad the judges had fun watching it, because I didn't really.

I liked Robin's American smooth choreography, which had lovely Chicago notes. I especially liked the ending. However, for me it only had some of that jazz, rather than All That Jazz. As always, Lisa gave it loads of personality, but she doesn't have strong enough technique for a finalist.

I think I was in agreement with the order of the judges' leaderboard this week. Lisa and Louis were the bottom two for me. If Lisa ends up in the bottom two, there is no doubt in my mind that she will go home. If the public have saved Lisa, then it will get more interesting. If Louis comes up against Dani, Denise or Kimberley, then I think he will go home with silver once again. But what if there is any combination of Dani, Denise or Kimberley in the bottom two? They are so keen on Denise, but can they put her through if she's up against Kimberley who topped the board? I cannot wait to see the results show tonight! Bring it on!

Here are the videos...

Dani & Vincent - American smooth



Dani & Vincent - Argentine tango



Louis & Flavia - Jive



Louis & Flavia - Foxtrot



Denise & James - Tango



Denise & James - Rumba



Kimberley & Pasha - American smooth



Kimberley & Pasha - Charleston



Lisa & Robin - Salsa



Lisa & Robin - American smooth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home