Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Service: Week 11

I can't help thinking that this year's participants have had it easier. Only now have they had to do more than one dance, and they were split over two nights.

Scott & Natalie really needed to make up for their less-than-impressive Argentine tango on Friday night, but sadly for me their Charleston wasn't good enough. It was actually a bit boring. It lacked the cheekiness of other Charlestons, and there was no story to it. It was a lot of spinning by Natalie and not a lot else. It wasn't a bad performance. But neither was it a show-stopping final place winning number.

Kara & Artem, on the other hand, should easily make the final. Their rumba was choreographically worthy of a professional, and Kara executed it almost perfectly. She was just let down by a couple of little wobbles. Kara's lines are so gorgeous, her musicality is great and she performs from within. It was really brave to use a track with no vocals, but it just added to the mood and meant nothing detracted from the dance. If Kara doesn't make the final there is something really wrong with the voting public.

I struggled with Matt & Aliona's tango because I thought the music choice was so poor. Hung Up is devoid of the drama needed for a tango. It's just pop pap! I also hated the pivots to open the routine. That aside, Matt did a pretty good job. He has plenty of drive, and his timing is bang on. However, I thought the routine lacked the chemistry needed for the tango. There wasn't enough storytelling. A bit like Scott, he performed well, I just wasn't that fussed with the routine.

Gavin showed last night why he does not deserve a place in the final. Viennese waltz was possibly the worst dance he could have had to perform, as it exposed his timing issues. Not only was his timing terrible, but it was written all over his face. He knew he was out and he pulled faces. At this level, you should at least be able to cover your mistakes with a smile. The beginning was promising, but Gavin couldn't sustain it. Katya did not put in a felckurl, opting for a standing spin at the end instead.

I thought Pamela & James' quickstep took too long to get going. Half of their routines have required Pamela to change her clothes in some way, and I find it a bit awkward. Pamela looked stunning in her tights and tails, and I'm not really sure why she couldn't just leave it on. Once they got going, though, I enjoyed the routine. I liked the little tap moment in the middle. On occasion, she doesn't look far right enough when in promenade position, which looks a little odd. There was a little mistake at the end too, but Pamela delivers on performance every time.

I think that Kara & Artem and Pamela & James should be in the final no doubt. They are the best dancers and best performers. As to the third place, I am torn between Scott and Matt. Scott was my choice for quite some time, but he has lost it in recent weeks. With Matt, there is something about the shapes he makes that are not as pleasing to watch as Scott's, but I can't put my finger on what. Maybe it's his arms. However, Scott seems to have peaked, while Matt has been consistent. Scott has far superior chemistry with Natalie than Matt does with Aliona. I have never been able to buy into Matt & Aliona as a team. Matt has performed everything he has been given well, but the choreography he has been given is not as good as what Scott has had. I guess in my heart I prefer Scott, but I would not be upset if he was pipped by Matt.

Here are the videos...

Scott & Natalie



Kara & Artem



Matt & Aliona



Gavin & Katya



Pamela & James

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home