Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Tuesday Chatter: Week 8

This weekend I learned how much context matters when you watch Strictly.

I was away (hence the tardiness of this post), and because BBC iPlayer won't work outside the UK, I just watched the dances on YouTube so I would at least know what went on and which order they performed in. I also accidentally saw the result via the Strictly Facebook page, again with no context. So I was really surprised to find out just what an emotional show it had been.

I liked Ellie & Johannes' Charleston routine. The style totally suited Ellie's goofy side, and the choreography was pretty well executed. Friendship is a really fun number in Anything Goes, and this routine captured the same spirit. I especially liked the jacket section. It was a fun number, and a good start to the show. I've not really been convinced that the pair are actually that close, but Ellie does really seem to like Johannes.

I wasn't so keen on Tyler & Dianne's paso. I just can't put my finger on why. It was absolutely fine, barring his topline in hold from time to time. But I just didn't connect to the dance. It didn't move me. I wanted something more.

Kym & Graziano's American smooth was pleasant, but really didn't move me without the context of her emotional connection to the song. It was a nice, well-danced routine, and was more emotional than Tyler's dance. But add the context of the loss that Kym experienced, and it totally changed my perception of the dance. I bought into the whole thing more. Apparently pulling on the heartstrings works.

Helen & Gorka's salsa was lively and fun. Helen's performance had sass, but was still a bit 'nice' for a salsa. I loved the cartwheel lift, and she certainly threw herself into the dance. It was a great performance, but it could have been even better.

Tony & Katya's jive was actually pretty entertaining. I loved him bursting through the poster at the beginning. I was amused by Katya's constant counting. I thought the sequence of forward rolls was very ambitious (even if not a typical jive step!). He's not a great dancer, but he has improved and I did enjoy him this week.

I loved Molly & Carlos' rumba. It was an absolute treat. Light and shade, fast and slow, packed with recognisable rumba figures and hot! I loved the combination of intimate, passionate moments, paired with outward performance to us. There was no dead time in the routine, every count was danced. Their connection was tangible, and you could believe that they were actually romantically involved by their brilliant storytelling. I loved it!

Fleur was also brilliant on Saturday. As the judges noted, she has now discovered how to control her power, and she channeled it brilliantly into her samba. Vito's choreography was brilliant - I loved the natural top - and Fleur's hips and body moved so rhythmically and stylishly.

Without the emotional context, Will & Nancy's waltz was lovely but really didn't make an impression on me. Just a nice ballroom dance. With the context of Will's story of loss, it took on new meaning, especially the end of the dance where he walked alone into the light. I was surprised how much more I enjoyed Will's dance after seeing the VT, and seeing Will's reaction at the end.

Couples' choice is often a difficult routine to judge, and it's usually because the style of dance is not well defined. Even without seeing the VT, I knew exactly what Hamza & Jovita's routine was all about. There was no question that it was an afrobeats routine, and it was brilliant. Hamza has such presence on the dancefloor that even the smallest of movements has impact. And the amazing lift where he swung Jovita around like a guy flipping a directional ad at the side of the road was just magic. More clearly defined CC routines, please!

My favourites of the week were Hamza, Fluer and Molly.

It was the right result. I think it was Tony's time to go. I would've probably been really mad at his presence in Blackpool if he'd knocked out anyone else. And I'm not mad at him for not performing again in the dance-off. Short of Tyler falling over mid-dance, he would never have been saved by the judges anyway.

So, off to Blackpool we go for the first time since 2019. But with no couples doing a paso which seems a real shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home