Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sunday Service: Week 9 - The Final

We made it! Despite the global pandemic, the 2m rule, isolation and all the rest of the challenges, Strictly managed to complete the series. I'm super sorry that it is over, as it was bringing me so much joy, but I will treasure the memories as much as any other series, if not more.

Round 1: Judges' Pick

Harvey & Janette were given their jive to perform again. They first performed it back in Week 1, so I think it was a god selection. Harvey was pretty good at it first time around, but there's no harm in giving it another run. It was enjoyable to watch again. And it probably was a bit slicker than the first time.

Jamie & Karen were given their Charleston. It was certainly a bit manic the first time around, but I really wish the judges had given them something more challenging. Something that might need a glance at a technique book, perhaps. Nonetheless, it was a dance that made me smile last time, and it did again last night. The final lift was probably a bit more confident than before.

Bill & Oti were asked to perform the quickstep again, from Week 2. Like Harvey & Janette, this was a dance that went really well the first time around, and showed everyone that Bill was a contender. It was light and fast across the floor. Bill's posture has improved throughout the series. It was a pleasure to see the routine again.

Finally, Maisie & Gorka had to revisit their samba. This time around it had a bit more light and shade, and less full out attack, which made it easier on the eye. The batucadas and voltas were not quite there, but I wouldn't be able to either step myself. It was a nice routine.

Round 2: Showdances

With so many Couple's Choice routines this year, which now don't even need to nominate a dance style, would the showdances deliver something that we hadn't seen before?

Harvey & Janette's routine was pretty much what you'd expect. There was lots of salsa, with some excellent armography. There were some typical Janette-style lifts, and her signature 'neck on the foot' move. The pot stir was gorgeous, and definitely a highlight of the routine. It was well performed, and confident. But I'm not sure it really showed me anything I hadn't seen, or anything that I wouldn't have expected Harvey to be able to do.

I did quite enjoy Jamie & Karen's routine. I enjoyed the red light at the beginning, but I'm not a fan of the use of a harness in a routine, because we are left watching the partner for too long while they are unhooked. I liked the routine otherwise. I liked how 'big' it was - it seemed to cover lots of space and was expansive. That made it quite interesting to watch. Jamie is not the best dancer, but as the judges have said many times, he gives the dances everything. I enjoyed watching, even if it wasn't a shopstopper.

Bill & Oti's showdance totally appealed to me. It was exactly what I want to see. Passion and drama. I loved the mix of paso and Argentine tango. It was strong and powerful. It was so them. I'm not usually emotional, but I was in bits when Bill got his guitar and Oti went ariel. It delivered, and I think it helped seal their place in the competition.

Maisie & Gorka's routine was pure Hollywood. I loved it. It was clean and well performed. I could live without some of the face-pulling on Maisie's part, but her body just flowed beautifully. I ended up being a little disappointed about the drop from the platform, which had been built up in the VT. There was barely a gap between her waist and Gorka's arms in the end. It didn't look that dramatic, although I'm sure it felt dramatic from Maisie. That aside, it was still a lovely, fesitve routine.

Round 3: Couples' Favourite

It was lovely to see Harvey & Janette's American smooth again. A perfect end to their series. It was glamourous, precise and big. I think the lift section at the end was slicker than the first time. Loved it.

Jamie & Karen managed to no do any ballroom or latin in the final by opting to do their Couple's Choice routine again. I enjoyed this routine the first time, and I enjoyed it again. Jamie is not perfect, but there is something very endearing about him. I really hope that we get to see him on the Strictly tour in the future, because I want the pleasure of seeing some of these routines in person.

Bill & Oti had to do their Couple's Choice again. The nation would have been in mourning otherwise. It was as slick and precise as the first time. Sometimes the reprise of a dance in the final is never as good as the first time, but this truly was. If the showdance didn't win them the competition, this dance definitely did.

Maisie & Gorka closed the competition with their quickstep. It was such a lovely routine, and it was so well danced. At did have the feel of an American smooth. Maisie is such a gorgeous dancer, and this was a nice compliment to the showdance. 

Nicola & Katya

It was so lovely to see Nicola & Katya perform again, and this was exactly the routine we had been waiting to see in the competition. Mostly Argentine tango, Nicola lead Katya very well. It was passionate and hot. It also had some challenging lifts than only Katya can choreograph. We were robbed of seeing this pair get further in the competition, but I am glad we were treated to this routine.

The Result

For once, the person in the final I wanted to win actually did! I was made up with the result.

Bill wasn't the comedy act that people thought he would be. He was a real student of dance. He took everything seriously, learning about the origins of each dance in addition to the choreography. Every dance they did was confident and well-danced. For someone whose career is comedy, we saw a performer come out on the floor. His dedication won the day. For me, the combination of the showdance and the Couple's Choice reprise sealed it for me.

This has been one of my favourite series of Strictly in years. It was so close - you genuinely didn't know who was going to win. There were some very memorable dances that will make it in to compilations for years to come. It's helped that I have actually been home to watch it every Saturday night. With no distractions I've been able to submerge myself into Strictly world every week in a way that I usually don't have time for. And it delivered the glitz and glam that we have all needed in 2020. 

Thank you, Strictly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home