Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Wednesday Wonderings: Week 13 - The Final

The final! Remember that? Seems like ages ago now. But I still wanted to share my thoughts about the show.

For the first time in years, I had picked a winner before Saturday's programme started. Usually, I need the showdances to help me make a decision, but not this year. I was firmly Team Kelvin. There was lots of talk about the possibility of Anton's first win as well, which was making me a bit nervous.

Round One: Judges' Choice

Karim & Amy were asked to do their quickstep again. In past years, the judges have picked a dance which needed improvement, but I think the quickstep was pretty good the first time around. This time around it was just as good. With hindsight, given their other performances on the night, it was nice to see them reprise a dance which was in hold. Once again, it was a clean performance. Karim was light on his feet, and it was a pleasure to watch.

The judges chose the Charleston for Emma & Anton. Again, they chose a strong dance. It had been tweaked, as the additional dancers were not included. This eliminated a bit lift in the middle. It did make the dance feel more like a partner dance, rather than being 'The Emma Show' this time. Anton still made a few small errors, which didn't help. Emma performed the dance well.

Kelvin & Oti were given the rumba, which could have been a total stitch-up, but he did a brilliant job once again. They had chemistry. The choreography was really nice - I really loved the underarm turn section. Great hip action, of course.

Round Two: Showdances

What you want to see from the showdances is something new - specifically lifts. But with so many styles now part of the competition, it's hard to do something good and new. Perhaps Michelle should have saved vogue for the showdance...

Karim & Amy's showdance was sadly nothing new. It was a contemporary routine which was similar in feel to their couple's choice contemporary. It showed what a great soloist Karim is. He is a fantastic dancer. But I wanted to see a different side of Karim. And I didn't get the giant showerhead with CGI confetti. I liked the paddling pool of confetti, though. It reminded me of the water dances that Tap Dogs used to perform. Confettiography is fine with me, but I didn't need the showerhead as well.

Emma & Anton promised a dance with a bit of Fred & Ginger glamour. I was poised for something similar to Ore or Faye's showdance. I didn't get that. I got a very disjointed routine which didn't know what it wanted to be. We watched Anton ascend the stairs. They did a little twirl and then they descended together. That's a lot of music gone and not much content. Then a bit in hold which didn't go anywhere. Then canes and hopping. Then running back up the stairs. There was a lot of nothing.

Kelvin & Oti's number was a 'greatest hits' routine. It was a little disappointing, as I wanted to see crazy Oti death-defying lifts and innovative choreography. But next to Emma & Anton, it looked stunning. It was great to see Kelvin's 'flying ant' again. And I loved the slow jive section in the middle. Slow jive is so sexy. But it wasn't as good as her routine with Danny Mac.

Round Three: Favourite Dance

It was no surprise that Karim & Amy chose their jive as their favourite dance. It was definitely his strongest dance of the series, and a great one to end his series on. Best jive ever, Bruno? Not sure about that.

Emma & Anton were only ever going to choose a ballroom dance, and they opted for the pivotfest of a Viennese waltz. It was nice enough, but lacked a bit of chemistry. I'm not sure what I would have chosen instead, though. I've found a lot of their dances forgettable. American smooth would have needed modification. The judges didn't like their tango. Their options were limited.

Kelvin & Oti's choice of samba was obvious. We hadn't seen it since Week 1, and it was the dance that catapulted Not Jamie Laing to stardom. It was great to see it again. Great hip action, great energy. A great end to the series.

The Result

It was the right result for me. Karim is a fantastic dancer as a soloist, but he never seemed completely comfortable in hold. He wasn't a credible leader. Emma often made mistakes and never really nailed anything. She was good, but there are other people I would have preferred to have seen in the final. For me, Kelvin had everything. Confident performer, great mover, decent lead. After Alex went out, Kelvin was the one I liked the most.

And that's our lot for another year. No more dances. No more frocks. No more 9s from Craig.

I just want to take a moment to acknowledge that Michelle's part of the group number was to Glamazon. Fierce until the end.

To those of you who still read my blog, I really appreciate you. I love writing my thoughts every week, and the fact that people still come and have look each week is humbling. Sometimes I don't have as much time to devote to it as I would like, but I'll still be here with weekly reviews.

So, who's going to be rumoured for 2020? Will there be a drag queen? Or a Queen of The Jungle? Will we have heard of any of the participants? I can't wait to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home