Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sunday Service: Week 13 - The Final

Coming into the final, I didn't have any idea who I wanted to win. I was excited to see the showdances, as I thought that would probably be the way to split them. Yet after the showdances, I was still undecided.

Round 1: Judges' Choice
Alexandra & Gorka were given the American Smooth to perform again. They were flawless. The routine was precise, and beautifully danced. Alexandra left nothing backstage.

Debbie & Giovanni were given the salsa. Debbie performed the routine better than the first time, and looked to be having a great time. The lifts were just as well executed as before, but I just enjoyed the routine more than the last time.

Gemma & Aljaž had to re-visit the paso doble. This was a great choice. Given how well the tango went for Gemma, and that the paso was performed early in the series, it was obvious that she was going to perform this well. And she did. It had attack and intent. A pleasure to watch again.

I'm so glad that the judges chose the Viennese waltz for Joe & Katya, as it was one of my favourite routines of the series. Joe's posture, while not perfect, was better than before. It was pure Viennese without too much fluff.

Round 2: Showdances

Alexandra & Gorka went for old Hollywood glamour in frantic style. The routine was packed with lifts and fast steps, playing to Alexandra's strengths and preferences. It was a great routine, with interesting lifts and fantastic energy again. I just wish it had crescendoed a bit more, with a stunning lift or something to bring the routine to a climax.

Debbie looked very nervous at the start of her and Giovanni's balletic routine. In places she looked unsteady. The routine was lovely, but parts of it felt a bit tentative. There was a lovely split, though, of course.

I really enjoyed Gemma & Aljaž's cabaret-style routine. Gemma looked fierce and in control. I loved the opening, where she was alone. Very Roxie Hart. It definitely showcased her talents in ballroom, but with other elements thrown in too. Some great lifts as well.

Joe & Katya's Cinderella-inspired routine was good, but didn't really move me. I thought the bit where he danced with the show was a bit naff. However, when he got Katya into hold, it was quite charming. I loved the dress changing from rags to ballgown. It was a sweet routine, with a couple of nice lifts, and lots of stroytelling, which is their strength.

Round 3: Favourite Routine

With the showdances over, the favourite dance is little more than a formality. These are routines that most couples nailed the first time around, so have little more to offer. It's just their chance to have a nice last dance.

It came as a surprise to literally no-one that Alexandra & Gorka went for their jive. I wasn't too keen on Alexandra's performance the first time around, but this time it was the perfect end to their series. I think she performed it better than before, with better technique. I loved watching it.

Debbie & Giovanni chose their Argentine tango, which was a big change of pace after Alexandra's jive, but it was the right choice. They nailed it again, great chemistry.

The nice thing about seeing Gemma & Aljaž's American smooth again was that the extra dancers were excluded. I liked this routine so much more when it was just the two of them. It had an intimacy which was lacking in Blackpool.

Joe & Katya could have chosen from several routines, but went for the crowd-pleasing Charleston. It was clean, fun and entertaining. 

Toward the end of the week, I was pretty convinced Joe or Debbie would win. The bookies were saying Joe, but almost everyone I spoke to wanted Debbie to win. Few chose Joe, so I started to think that maybe Debbie could do it. By Saturday morning, she was the favourite.

Over the same period, while I was sure I didn't mind who would win, I think I subconsciously started to gravitate towards Gemma. Seeing her at the press conference, and on It Takes Two twice in the week, I fell in love with her partnership with Aljaž. It was so obvious that they were having a great time. I just wish I'd have loved their showdance more than I did.

On the night, I think there could be little question that Alexandra was the strongest performer. All three routines were flawless, and I loved that she gave her all to everything. She nailed all three routines. And while I wanted even more from her showdance, she was definitely the most impressive.

When Joe was announced as the winner, I didn't really feel anything. Maybe it's because I didn't mind who won. Or maybe it's because by Saturday night, I'd kind of decided that I was backing Gemma. I don't really know. But I don't begrudge Joe & Katya the crown. Joe's improvement has been obvious, and Katya is a brilliant choreographer who has come up with some very inventive routines.

I can't imagine how lost the participants feel today. It seemed odd not watching Strictly at 7.15pm tonight. Only eight days until the Christmas special, and then on to the tour in February. And no doubt the rumours about 2018 will start imminently. Although they have to recruit a new celebrity booker first, so don't expect any stories just yet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home