Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Line-up: My Initial Thoughts

Here are my thoughts on this year’s line-up… I might not be that familiar with them now, but in a few short weeks, I’ll know them better than I know my own family!

It’s hard to say what Jo Wood & Brendan Cole will bring to the party. Jo is famous for little aside from having been married to a rock star. She’s certainly going to have a lot to prove.

Ali Bastian & Brian Fortuna should be strong contenders. Ali is young, and attended theatre school, so would probably have done some dance training, however limited. They should make a good team [Strictly trivia: Ali used to date Kevin Sacre, who is now engaged to Camilla Dallerup].

Colleen Nolan proved on that dreadful ITV1 programme that older ladies can go far (so I heard when I watched Loose Women during my unemployed days). Lynda Bellingham could do as well with Darren Bennett on Strictly. The great thing is that hopefully the show will get lots of exposure on Loose Women. She has a lot to live up to. Fellow Loose Woman Lesley Garret got to the semi-final of Series 1.

I’m very excited about the pairing of Natalie Cassidy & Vincent Simone. Natalie comes across as the sort of girl that will get stuck in and give it everything. I didn’t see anything of her fitness DVD, but the fact that she did one suggests that she must have a certain degree of rhythm. I can’t wait to see them on the floor. Natalie is this year's youngest celebrity participant.

Logic would say that Martina Hingis would be agile and nippy on the dancefloor, with her years of tennis experience. But, as anyone who saw Monica Seles on Dancing With The Stars can attest, that might not actually be the case. She’s in safe hands with past champ Matthew Cutler.

Jade Johnson
is familiar with the Strictly floor already, having partnered Roger Black on the Sport Relief special. She was pretty good too. Ian Waite will be used to working with an athlete, having been runner up in Series 2 with Denise Lewis. Athletes are focused and used to training.

Zoe Lucker is famed for being sexy siren Tanya in Footballers’ Wives. James Jordan will probably play to her sexy on-screen persona and raunch it up a bit. Should be an exciting pairing.

I really don’t know that much about Laila Rouass, having not watched Footballers’ Wives or Primevil. It’s great that Anton du Beke has finally been blessed with a young ever again. Can she take him to the final?

Like Jade, Joe Calzaghe will have that disciplined training mentality. Boxers can bob and weave, but can Joe be light on his feet? Kristina Rihanoff proved her worth last year, and will be itching to show off some cleaver choreography that she wasn’t able to do for John.

Richard Dunwoody was the leftfield name in the pack. Another sportsman, but one who’s been retired for quite some time. I think the jury is out for me on his and Lilia Kopylova’s partnership until they step onto the floor.

Ricky Groves & Erin Boag should get along well. Ricky once attended ballet school so he should be more of a mover than he looks. I'm intrigued to see him take to the floor.

Chris Hollins continues the tradition of news presenters on Strictly. Ola Jordan worked with Andrew Castle last year, so she’ll understand what it’s like to coach someone who works early mornings.

I loved Craig Kelly in Queer As Folk, and certainly danced in the nightclub scenes, but it wasn't exactly ballroom. I’m sure he’ll do very well, and Flavia Cacace will want to emulate the success she enjoyed with fellow soap actor Matt DiAngelo.

I’m really excited about Phil Tufnell. I really think he’s going to give it everything he’s got. He’s got a lot to live up to – fellow cricketers Darren Gough and Mark Ramprakash both walked off with the glitterball. New kid on the block Katya Virshilas has lucked-out, getting a celebrity so popular with the public, as proven by his success on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!.

Hollyoaks heart-throb Ricky Whittle will win a few votes from the ladies. Where’s Alrene when you need her, eh? New girl Natalie Lowe will be out to make her mark on the programme. This could be a dynamite pairing.

Finally, Crimewatch cop Rav Wilding is partnered with newbie Aliona Vilani. I don’t know that much about Rav, so I’ll be watching his progress with interest.

So there we have it. The sixteen celebrities who will fill our homes six days a week from 18th September. I can’t wait!!

My personal faves are Natalie, Phil and Craig, but I think it’s Jade and Ricky W that will have the smooth moves.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:59 pm, Blogger LUFCRACE said…

    about sums it up! roll on september 18th!

     
  • At 10:50 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Phil Tufnell has always been know as cat and its not down to his reflexes, but his ability to sleep. Not sure that a left arm spinner who can just about catch a cricket ball will do well - but I'll be cheering for him. What next, Christopher Martin-Jenkins?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home